Dragster3

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.dragster3.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a nikon 5000 and I want to purchase a wide angle lens...

all these brands, but they all look the same,
Albinar, Rokinin, Samyang, vivitar,

all different prices? wtf

they are all made by the same manufacturer ?

What should I get...not big on zoom lens

Thanks in advance.

I have a nikon 5000 and I want to purchase a wide angle lens...

all these brands, but they all look the same,
Albinar, Rokinin, Samyang, vivitar,

all different prices? wtf

they are all made by the same manufacturer ?

What should I get...not big on zoom lens

Thanks in advance.

Yeppers....SamyAlbiRokiBoweViv is the name for these things!!!

There are multiple names for the same lens model; it seems like the importer/distributor and the trade name they sell the lens under is the main difference between the SAME lens! In one markert, the lens is a Bower; in another, it might be a Samyang, and so on. Prices can and do vary, yes. But, do look closely and make SURE tyou are comparing the same-generation products.

These lenses are hit and miss production quality wise. Some people with good copies love the lenses and can produce very good images from them. Some of the lenses do not come with a chip. Some do (needed for some camera functions). So there is a little different than name and trim paint between them. But then you read stories of the lenses bad out of the box and having to send them back for different one. And some failing within a year or so. So, it really depends on who on the production line made the lens.

They are Manual focus only! They are starting to make AF lenses though. Higher price though.

If you are really tight in budget and there is no way you can get a better made more expensive one in the near future. I would say try one of these. But make sure it's from a vendor you can return and swap for another if you happen to get a bad one. And of course check it / test it right away. So, it can be returned during the return window. And make sure the lens your getting has the chip for Nikon use.

It's possible that some labels may include lenses that failed the stricter QC testing at another of the labels - not at all sure if this is the case with lenses, but certainly happens with some other products. Something that works but isn't quite to the standard of brand A gets sold as/by brand B, who can sell it cheaper because of the higher proportion of borderline examples.

Budget is whatever a good one costs...as long as it's not over $400...again if a good one is $450 I'll go for it...I don't make money with my camera so I don't need anything crazy...middle of the road...I don't like zoom, manual focus is fine, not too much focusing with a wide lens any who. $150 for a 8mm f 3.5 is very tempting. Lol

I use Samyang 8mm on d3100 and d7100 and it is best bang for that money. Making 360 panoramic image for google.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

My only experience with a wide angle Rokinon lens was unsatisfactory because it should have been rectilinear but had a lot of barrel distortion. Barrel distortion is normal for a fisheye so I suppose it should be just fine.

It's possible that some labels may include lenses that failed the stricter QC testing at another of the labels - not at all sure if this is the case with lenses, but certainly happens with some other products.
I find that to be possible, especially if people are finding problems. My experience with Rokinon, which I believe to be the main label in the USA. I have two Rokinon lenses. They are the sharpest lenses I've ever had, even sharp wide open, which is a rare treat. MF is a small price to pay for the quality, and especially easy to deal with at wide angles.

I feel better buying one of these cheapo lens...

thanks!
Just keep receipts and buy from a place with easy returns. And test the crap out of it during return period. Make sure you get a decent copy.

Most reactions

Back