Wide Angle for Full Frame

dbvirago

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.brooksimages.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Looking through the 24-105 on the MKIII, I could definitely go wider for shooting interiors. What is the widest angle without going fisheye? Also not looking for tilt-shift at this point.

Thanks

Canon 16-35mm f/2.8- L (Mark II version) or Canon 17-40mm f/4-L: either of these two specific lenses would be nice. Neither are fisheyes, and 16mm and 17mm are both pretty wide-angle on full-frame. I have a 24-105mm f/4-L, and that's pretty handy as an all-arounder. I believe that the widest non-fisheye from Canon is their 14mm f/2.8.

If you are wanting to shoot a lot of architecture there's also the 17mm TS-E. it's crazy expensive but for sharpness from center to edge there's not really an ultra-wide angle for Canon that is as good.

There's also the manual focus Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, which has incredible sharpness and flare control at the price of weird and noticeable distortion.

Yeah, I got the 24-105 f4 on the MKIII as well. Rex, not looking to spend a ton as I don't shoot a lot of interiors. I did a huge house with the 17-50 on my crop body and it was wide enough for most rooms, but they were large rooms. I'll probably look at the 17-40. I'd always be on a tripod for interiors, and likely shooting about f8. Thanks to both of you

Cool. I was just giving suggestions against the norm because I'm not too fond of most Canon UWA lenses because they tend to have kind of muddy edges. I was kind of disappointed in the 16-35. :(

Anything wider than 24mm, Canon seems to have difficulty creating an outstanding lens like with their telephotos.

Canon's EF 14mm f/2.8L II is the widest rectilinear (not a fish-eye) lens for a full-frame camera -- it is a fairly expensive lens.

When shooting interiors, the lens axis needs to be "level" (parallel to the floor) as any upward or downward tilt will cause all window or doorways (or anything that should be rectangular) to take on a trapezoid shape. The TS-E 17mm f/4L can correct for the trapezoidal shape... it's not quite as wide. It's also a very expensive lens (both lenses are in the $2000-2500 range.)

As far as I know, the Sigma 12-24 zoom is the widest rectilinear lens for Canon full frame.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back