Wide Angle Lens for Weddings

AimeeLynC

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.aimeelynprints.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am in the market for a wide zoom lens for shooting weddings. I currently use a 70-200mm. My friend and I photograph weddings together and I will sometimes use her 18-55. I really want to purchase my own but I am having a hard time deciding. Which would you recommend from these two:

10-22mm f/2.5-4.5
or
17-40mm f/4

or would you recommend something totally different?

Thanks in advance!

-Aimee

Depends; what's your budget and do you want merely wide, or do you want really frickin' wide? For merely wide, I'd go with the 16-35; from what I've seen it blows it's Nikon brother out of the water, and is a great piece of glass. If you want ultra-wide, then the Tokina 11-16 f2.8. For weddings, you really do NOT want a variable aperture lens.

Welcome to the forum.

You don't mention what brand of cameras you're using, but it sounds like Canon. It also sounds like you're shooting with a 'crop frame' (APS-C) sized sensor. In which case, a truly wide angle will come from something like the Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5. I used that lens for several years, shooting landscapes, weddings etc. Just don't use it too much...as it often makes you want to get really close to your subjects, and that causes a lot of perspective distortion. It's easy to forget that while shooting.
There are other options in that range, the Sigma 10-20mm has a good reputation.

The 18-55mm range is considered the 'normal' range, on APS-C cameras. The common 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 is usually called the 'kit lens' as it is bundled with most of the entry level DSLR cameras. Not really what most would consider professional level equipment for a wedding photographer.
If all you have is a 70-200mm....then you should probably get something in this range, before you get an ultra wide angle lens.
One of the best options is the EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS. Large maximum aperture & top level image quality...although, quite expensive.
Another option, (the one that I used for years) is the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8. Pretty good image and build quality, not nearly as expensive as the Canon 17-55mm.

Another option would be the EF 16-35mm F2.8 L or the 17-40mm F4 L. Both are high quality lenses, but the main benefit is that they are EF and not EF-S lenses. This may not matter to you now, but if you ever decide to upgrade your camera to something with a 'full frame' sized sensor...then you won't be able to use EF-S lenses (or similar lenses like the Tamron I mentioned). So something like the 16-35mm would be a 'normal' range zoom on a crop camera, but it would become an ultra wide angle on a full frame camera.

Big Mike, sorry I didn't mention my camera. I use a Canon 10D.

Thanks everyone for the replies. It truly helps. Looks like my best choices are 17-40 or 16-35. I am definitely looking into the Tamron 17-50mm. Seems like it may be the best option right now.....

I wanted to buy the tamron as well but I dont know yet it seems the best opinion for the price and f2.8.. Is amazing and its wide

Ah...the old 10D. As I remember, that particular model is an oddity in that it has an APS-C sensor, but is not compatible with Canon EF-S lenses. They, of course, corrected that on the 20D and all newer models since then.

I'm not usually one to recommend a newer camera over getting better lenses...but in this case, you could buy a new camera, something like a Rebel T4i or T5i, along with an 18-55mm IS lens, for less than $900. That would give you a new camera that has much better image quality (especially at higher ISO) and a lens in the range that you want....although it would be a 'kit' lens.
But just as importantly, it would give you another camera, allowing you to keep your 10D as a back up.

Better yet, I'd suggest a used model that is a little more professional and more akin to your 10D. Something like this http://www.keh.com/camera/Canon-Digital-Camera-Bodies/1/sku-DC029991024110?r=FE

Then maybe a used lens...
http://www.keh.com/camera/Canon-Digital-Non-Mfg-Zoom-Lenses/1/sku-DC09999086242J?r=FE

Big Mike, you have been truly helpful. I did notice that my 10D did not offer as much flexibility as far as lens choices. It seems purchasing another camera is the way to go. I do need an extra camera body anyway. Thanks for your help!

Big Mike, you have been truly helpful. I did notice that my 10D did not offer as much flexibility as far as lens choices. It seems purchasing another camera is the way to go. I do need an extra camera body anyway. Thanks for your help!

The only lenses that wont fit are the crappy EFS lenses

The only lenses that wont fit are the crappy EFS lenses

Crappy efs lens? Have you tried the 17-55 2.8? Far from crappy sir.

Why would i want to, wont fit my camera got the 24-70 and lots more L lenses much better but hardly shoot digital now

I'd take a T4i over the 40D. I'd also consider the Tamron 17-50 f2.8, which can be had for about $300-$350 used.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back