Wide angle Lens or Gigapan?

unpopular

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
So I am thinking about getting a wider lens, but then remembered not too long ago I was also thinking about getting a Gigapan, with the mentality that I could just use my best lenses and select a FOV and stitch together after.

So, what do you think? I know it's not good for casual stuff - but for more serious work my subjects are stationary, I've begun using a tripod almost all the time anyway and I'd get significantly larger files as an added bonus. Given my approach it seems like a good idea. Is there something I am missing?

GigaPan EPIC Pro Robotic Camera Mount EPIC PRO B&H Photo Video

Well the price of the unit is pretty high so its not a cheap option. If you are only doing regular aspect shots that could be captured with a single lens you might find it easier to simply work with a high quality lens option. However if you are going for more extreme wideangle stuff then the gigapan would present an ideal tool for helping get the series of shots needed for a good stitching (though of course you'll need suitable software to make sure the stitches are performed well).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/689697-REG/Giga_Pan_EPIC_100_EPIC_100_Robotic_Camera.html

I would not need the Epic Pro for my a350 provided I remove my vertical grip - which I only have one battery for anyway. The Epic 100 is only about $450, about the price of a decent lens. I'm happy with my 50mm lens' quality, and any defects would likely get scaled out given the ginormous size of the files. With this lens, even with the field of view similar to a 25mm lens, I'm estimating around 50mp.

I am thinking this would be good since aspect ratio wouldn't be tied to any given lens - is that a decent assessment or am I not getting something?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back