Wide Angle Lens: Sigma 10mm-20mm or Canon 17-40mm L

chelveez

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello!

I'm looking for a good, affordable ultra wide angle lens.

I've been going back and forth between the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 and the Canon 17-40mm f/4 L.

It seems obvious to get the L...BUT, here's what I've been thinking

Sigma: $425 used, $465 new
Canon: $645 used, $789 new
about a $200 difference

Sigma: 10-20mm
Canon: 17 -40mm (would it really give me that ultra wide angle I'm looking for? 7mm more seems like a big difference...)

Sigma: f/4-5.6
Canon: f/4
Is there a big difference here? I would probably stick to the widest angles...so wouldn't the sigma be better since it it goes as wide as 10mm rather than 17mm? The F stop would be 4 for both.

Does the "L" and Canon brand make a $200 dollar difference in addition to it not being as wide as the sigma?

I feel like the Sigma would work better for me, because I really to get those ultra wide shots...that 10mm is really appealing...but then again, the Canon and L thing is keeping me from really making a solid decision.

Any of you have experience with either lens?? How is focusing, speed, and clarity?

Would appreciate any feedback! Thanks.

They are both called 'wide angle' lenses...and they are. But the 17-40mm was designed for use on 35mm SLR film cameras, where 17mm will give you a ultra wide angle of view.

Most Digital SLR cameras have a sensor that is smaller than 35mm film, so the edges of what the lens sees, are cut off....cropped. So on most DSLR cameras, you need a shorter focal length to get an ultra wide angle.

What lens do you have for you camera now? Something like an 18-55mm zoom? If so, 17mm will only be slightly wider than 18mm.
10mm, on the other hand, will be much, much wider.

large.jpg

Does the "L" and Canon brand make a $200 dollar difference in addition to it not being as wide as the sigma?
To some people yes...but maybe not to others.

Actually, the Canon EF 17-40mm F4L is one of the most affordable 'L' lenses and is quite the bargain...giving you great quality at a 'good' price.

My ultra wide angle lens is the Canon EF-S 10-22mm. It's not an 'L' lens, but maybe only because Canon doesn't give EF-S lenses the L designation. I've heard many say that it's image quality is on par with many L lenses. It's also quite a bit more expensive than the Sigma 10-20mm, for example.

I don't think you ever mentioned what camera(s) you have. If you have a 'full frame' digital body, then you can forget most of these 10mm lenses...because they are made for 'crop' sensor cameras only.

That helps so much! Thank you. I have a Rebel XT...I'm looking to upgrade to a 7D or 60D. So Sigma it is!? I am looking for that wider angle.

I'd also suggest considering the Sigma 8-16mm which is wider than the 10-20mm (remembering that the 4mm difference will be noticable at this short focal length) and also is a class higher (from all the reviews I've read) than the 10-20mm

Most reactions

New Topics

Back