wide angle lens users

Dew

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i just got a wide angle lens for my new camera ... but one problem :? ... its too perfect :scratch: ... it doesnt show vignetting, distortion, that "warped" look or blurriness around the edges .... i like the flaws :crazy:

how do u like your wide angle lens results? ... crisp and clean, or flaws?

I don't know which I like better. Although, I didn't really know I had a choice. Anything under 24mm (for 35mm) will have distortion on the edges.

Dew, I have a 20mm on the Pentax. I can get that kinda "warped" look, like a pseudo fisheye, if I move in pretty close to the subject, but from a distance it acts like a "fabulously perfect" kind of wide angle lens, and just gives me.... a wide angle. :!:

I know exactly what you mean, though!! Given the choice, I think I'd rather err on the "non-perfect" side.... I think it adds an edge to most images. I love the distortion and vignetting I've seen on Holga cameras and fisheye images.

I find I use that wide angle a LOT, too - much more than I thought I would when I got it!

here's one of my pics i dug up from the old cam ... they all werent this exaderrated... but not far from it .... the new one, its just makes things wider, which is cool in a technical sense, but sometimes the flaws just makes the photo more interesting

not a fabulous photo, but u see what im talking about? :bounce:

truck.jpg

Yep. And in this particular image, you need this effect because it gives the sense of motion to the shot. Without it, it would look like a parked truck.

Dew, I think what you need to get is a lens that's wider than what you have now. What size is it?

I just got a 0.66X Raynox and it causes some mechanical vignetting, I wished it didn't. The corners are dark when using in the widest angle. I also tried the 0.45X which had serious vignetting issue. Sucks because the 0.70 Olympus wide angle doesn't cause any vignetting but too expensive.

Jeff Canes, on his reply to my thread regarding wide angle lenses pointed me to this site regarding vignetting.

And I think Photoshop can do some vignetting effect on your photos. Don't ask me how it's done, I don't have a clue.

its has a 35mm equivalent of 28mm f2.0. i think my last one was a 28mm as well .. but the base was smaller, i had to use step-up rings (i sold the camera, so i dont have it in front of me) ... the actual lens is 62mm base out to 105mm .... its a little bigger than my other one... my hubby says i should put a plastic bag over it or vaseline :roll: ... i guess i shouldnt complain, most people would be happy that it has minimal distortions :roll:

Most reactions

Back