wide angle lens

anel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hey everyone, i'm thinking of buying a wide angle lens but seeing as my budget is seriously limited i'd like to see what my options are? i don't even mind those older lenses which are supposedly cheaper, i'd even buy a FD wide angle lens if i had the adapter... so, any ideas on what to buy?

I am going to guess you have some sort of Canon camera.

What model?

How wide did you want?

I am going to guess you have some sort of Canon camera.

What model?

How wide did you want?

yep, canon - cropped sensor ..... well i'm thinking at least 18mm or wider

Well do you want wide or super-wide? Are you shooting cropped-sensor or full-frame? There's one hell of a difference, not just in the results but in what you're supposed to do out in the field. Read:
How to Use Ultra-Wide Lenses

Sigma makes a 10-20mm that is known to give excellent results, but is a little slow at F/3.5-5.6... but that never bothered me and the results were always excellent.

hmmm what if i wanted something cheaper? cheaper than that sigma for around 500 euros... ok ok.. let's put it like this.. whats the cheapest wide/ultra-wide lens out there?

I beleive tamron makes a pretty cheap ultrawide. Id much rather get the sigma 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6.
It takes makes darn good pictures at a good price.

well 500 euros is just not in my budget atm that's why i'm looking into every possibility... so you're saying it's impossible to get an ultra-wide for less than around 400 euros?

Last edited:
Shop used, but don't go FD mount and adapt to EF. The proper mount is like $1000 bucks and the el'chepo versions are garbage. Buy EF mount lenses.

Shop used, but don't go FD mount and adapt to EF. The proper mount is like $1000 bucks and the el'chepo versions are garbage. Buy EF mount lenses.

Are you crazy?! There's plenty of good FD glass, you just need a FD camera to use it as far as I know.

If you can use FD glass and you don't do something like sports photography where auto-focus is an actual necessity then BUY BUY BUY cause FD glass is really, really cheap. Real photographers know how to manually focus on the fly anyhow.

Are you crazy?! There's plenty of good FD glass, you just need a FD camera to use it as far as I know.

If you can use FD glass and you don't do something like sports photography where auto-focus is an actual necessity then BUY BUY BUY cause FD glass is really, really cheap. Real photographers know how to manually focus on the fly anyhow.

Are you crazy? The OP is not shooting an FD camera.....

i wouldn't mind older lenses but i'm not into buying a new camera since i've recently got a new one... so tell me this.. .what's the cheapest wide angle lens available? and i'll look from there on...

there seems to be a sigma 10-20mm f3.5
has anyone tried it or any ideas about price?

Whats the exact price range youre looking at?

Just go to B&H Photo Video, Adorama, Ritz Camera etc etc and Look for a lens within your price range. Most have filters for lens type.

Most reactions

Back