Wide angle lens

cdwad

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking into a Canon wide angle lens I want to use mainly for landscape photos in the f11 - f22 range. I'm thinking of the 35mm f1.4 and 20 mm f2.8 OR 16-35 f2.8 or will the 17-40 f4 be just as good for what I need? Thank you.

If you can afford it faster glass is always the better way to go.

I don't know what camera you are using but keep in mind that on most digital SLR cameras (the ones with APS size sensors) a 20mm lens is not that wide for landscape photography. On such a camera the 16-35mm would be a better bet.

What camera are you using?

On 35mm film or full frame digital (5D, 1Ds)...16mm, 17mm or 20mm would be really wide.
On APS-C sensor digital cameras (10D, 20D, 30D, Rebels)...you will need something like the Canon EF-S 10-20mm, to get really wide views.

I am using 5D for landscape. I know the 35mm f1.4 is a great lens but will the quality at f16 be so similar to the other lenses that the zooms would make more sense?

I would probably choose the 20mm f2.8
It´s got all the drama you´ll need, and anyway, who does landscapes wide open? You´re best off stopping down to around f8 for overall sharpness, and depth of field.

The 35mm f1.4 is indeed a nice lens, but more suited to classic street and hand-held photography.

(BTW...you may start to get poorer performance around f16 or higher.)

Check lens comparison tables for optimum performance (usually about f8)

The 17-40 F4 L is well renowned to be a fantastic wide angle landscape lens.

I'm going to go with the 17-40 f4 L. Thank you all for your help.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back