OK, now we are getting somewhere.
28mm won't give you a wide field of view (FOV) on either of those cameras. That was a more useful lens back when we shot film, because 28mm on a film SLR (or full frame digital) is fairly wide.
There is a 'made for digital' version of that same lens, it's the EF-S 17-85mm IS. It's a very similar lens, but with a shorter focal length, and thus a wider view. And, it's an EF-S lens, which means that it is made to work with only the digital SLR bodies with a crop (APS-C) sized sensor. (both of those cameras included)
I believe that that lens has been replaced in Canon's line up with the EF-S 15-85mm IS...which is priced at just under $1000. I think there is a recent thread around here, where someone was disappointed with it. I'm not surprised, it doesn't seem to be worthy of it's expensive price tag. The EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS, on the other hand, is a superb lens with outstanding image quality.
A cheap option would be the usual 'kit' lens that comes with most Rebel cameras. The EF-S 18-55mm. You could probably pick up a lightly used one for $100-$200. It would give you a wider view, but it's a pretty cheaply made lens, if that matters to you.
So some better options would be the EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 that I mentioned above, although it will cost more than $1000 if you buy it new.
The Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 is a nice alternative, for a lower price. There is a version with VC (their version of IS) for something like $700 and an older non-VC version for around $500. I have the older version and it was my go-to lens for wedding & portraits. (I say was, because i've since upgraded to a 5DmkII, and like EF-S lenses, it's not compatible with full frame digital bodies.)
So one thing to consider, is whether or not you think that you will ever upgrade to a full frame body. If so, then you shouldn't buy an EF-S lens (or similar style lens from another company). I did that, and now I'm sort of stuck with several lenses that won't work well with my new camera.
So if that's the case, then you may want to look at the Canon EF 17-40mm F4 L. As an 'L' lens, it's top of the line and has great image and build quality. It will fit your budget, and is often considered a good deal because it's such a great lens.
Now, all of those lenses will give you a wider view on your camera(s)...but not ultra wide. I also have a Canon EF-S 10-22mm, which gives me a really, really wide FOV on crop sensor bodies. It's a great lens, but a bit expensive as well. There are cheaper options from Sigma, Tamron & Tokina.