Wide aperture portrait

Thank you Puscas. You're not the first person who's mentioned that I could crop in on this one. Someone once told me it looked like I was leaving room for text. :) I see what you mean though, and I agree, that it is definitely a possibility for improvement.

Thanks again for the support and the advice.

Bobby Ironsights - Thank you for finally enlightening us in regards to your opinions. I usually try to take criticism well, and you have some valid points.

But, firstly, you know nothing about what the subject would want. I wasn't particularly concerned with that when I took the photo - as I have said before, this was my personal work. Not for a client. And he does like the photo, actually. Whether or not the viewer would like that is subjective, and you have every right not to. Fair enough.

I agree. There is a lot of detail missing in the eyes. In some way I actually like that aspect of this photo. I wouldn't usually expose a photo of someone this way, I was trying something new (for me - and it was a while ago).

The contrast is harsh, but that was intentional.

There is no motion blur. It was a while ago, but I am certain that I exposed at f/2 or f/2.8 and a shutter speed of no less than 1/125 of a second. He was moving pretty slowly, so, no motion blur. I don't see it, there are parts out of focus, but I don't see the blur. If I've missed something, then congratulations for noticing. You win the golden ticket.

In regards to the plane of focus. It was intentionally short. I would say that more than anything the large white space is distracting, but I don't think I ever felt that the plane of focus was problematic. It very well could be that I look at this differently than other people seeing as it is my photograph. That's very possible, and so I will keep it in mind for the future.

I was not trying to make him look handsome. That was not the idea at all. There actually wasn't much of an "idea" to be honest, but that DEFINITELY wasn't it. It's not that he isn't or couldn't be photographed that way. He's actually quite photogenic for such a tall skinny guy, but that just wasn't the idea I had.

I don't want to discourage other people from giving me advice or comments. I really do appreciate it most of the time.

well I like this photo for all the reasons others don't, it breaks a number of rules and does it with presence. The photo for me has impact and is bold, keep it in your portfolio.....the posts here show that some will be impressed and I reckon that's fine....I meant to add I agree with puscas about a slight crop on the right.

OP just types "be Honest". OP does not ask for CC.
Honestly the photo is void of all things good in Photography.

just my 2 cents, honestly.....I'm Frank

Thanks Roger! It's appreciated. I'll try that.

Re-cropped.

2366648592_056e43822f.jpg

Most reactions

Back