What's new

Wide glass?

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jul 25, 2008
Messages
4,057
Reaction score
230
Location
Baltimore
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was looking into wide angle 'lenses' to get (the filters that you screw into the front of your lens, usually in incriments like .42x, etc.) but I didnt know how well they work. By any chance, does anyone here have before and after pictures taken with these? If you do, could you tell me which 'lens' you took them with (and without it..)? Id really like to know how well these work. Thanks.

Mark
 
No one? Not even a testimonial to them?

Mark
 
I'm sort of in the same boat - it seems really hard to find any lenses with a shorter focal length than the 18-55mm kit lens, but a converter could be just the trick - just not sure if they're actually any good.
 
Im using the 28-80mm lens. Never got the 18-55, so this would be great if they were any good.

Mark
 
Yeah I just bought a cheap second hand 28-80mm USM lens which should give better images than the kit lens (I hope) but I really want that extra bit of width at the short end - 0.42x would be ideal for me I think.
 
I was looking into wide angle 'lenses' to get (the filters that you screw into the front of your lens, usually in incriments like .42x, etc.).

I assume you are talking about wide angle adapters and from my experience they are not worth it. I tried them once and every single picture I took with them was not commercially usable, as the pictures lost overall sharpness, which was severe on the edges.

If you do not want to spend much money, rather go with a cheap 18-55mm. If your budget is bigger, 17-35 or 12-24.
 
Last edited:
Im using one that came with my N65, so its an old lens. It works well though. I think I will pick up an 18-55 soon, thinking Sigma depending on price because it doesnt cover much more of the range than my 28-80 does.

Mark
 
They make your photos look like ass. Sorry, but you're going to have to fork out $500-$600 for a decent wide angle.

10-20 Sigma for crop, 17-40 for full frame.
 
I think you will have a better result with buying a used 18-55mm Nikon kit lens than the adapter.
 
Save your money and buy a good wide lens. The Nikkor 14-24mm is superb in every way, and may very well be the best Nikon glass available.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom