Wide or telephoto

D-50

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am on the verge of purchasing a new lens although I am stuck because I would like a new wide angle but also want a good telephoto. I was looking at the Nikon 80-400mm VR and the Nikon 12-24mm. I currently have a Nikon 18-70mm and feel its a decent lense but I want something that will go wider. I tend to shoot a lot of city shotsof buildings, skylines, and people, yet I spend a decent amount of time in the woods as well. I do have a 55-200 lense but its a kit lens and it nothing special. How much wider does a 12mm go than an 18mm? an example would be great. If the difference is not big should I go with the 80-400 because that will give me a much larger range to shoot in? Any thoughts woud be appreciated, personal experiences with telephotos vs. wide angle would be appreciated to.

That would be nice but Im not sure if I can rationalize spending over 2000 right now. I was wondering if people find either of those ranges more useful than the other. Personally I think you're right, I should get both. I guess the crux of my decision is 12mm that much wider than 18mm and please noone respond saying the difference is 6mm because I know that. I have never looked through a 12mm lens so I do not know how wide it will get me. If anyone has two photos of the same ashot but one at 12mm and one at 18mm I would greatly appreciate seeing them.

Courtesy of KenRockwell!

12mm
index-7675.jpg

18mm
index-7686.jpg

Taken on a D200
This also might be useful - http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/digital-wide-zooms/comparison-index.htm

Thats exactly what I was looking for thank you very much

Most reactions

Back