wierd film system, vintage camera, how do I rewind this Alfa 2?

equivocalchick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've recently acquired a mid 60's camera from Poland called an Alfa-2. Generally, it's one of these:

Aparat

I've already shot a roll of HP5 on it, so I can't post a photo of the innards at the moment, seeing as how I've got a rewind problem, lol

It's a strange 35mm film system. It's roll to roll, so on one end I popped in the HP5. The other end was kind of confusing, but I more or less figured it out. The camera came with a spare empty 35mm film canister that is re-usable. It looks just like a normal film canister, except it's made of copper and the lid pops right off. So I took my film leader from the hp5, and stuck the end into the re-usable one. then I popped them both into the body, and viola, using the winder pulled the film from one canister to the other. I sacrificed a few frames playing around, making sure it worked, and then I shot the rest of the roll.

Ummm.... now what. Turns out there's no rewind button...derp! I know most of the roll is safely transferred, but the last few frames have likely not made it all the way in. The end is still firmly attached to the hp5 roll.

Is there a method to these things, or do I just need to sacrifice the end of the film each time I shoot with it and develop from the reusable roll? I've checked the body thoroughly, there's no rewindy releasy type thing at all that I could find, but maybe I'm missing something?

:shock:

I looked around the web.. finally found a pic of the opened back of the camera.. I think your only option will be to take the film out in a dark room or changing bag and roll it back by hand. Looks like an interesting little camera.

This sounds like 126 film, not the 135 film canister we're familiar with. It's the same film size, but in a more traditional roll-to-roll configuration. Typically 126 format was square, and I am thinking it probably didn't have holes for the sprockets. It's kind of like a small format version of 120/220.

Yes, your only option would be to open it in the dark. Like 120/220, the idea was that you'd wind it from one canister and into the other, and then use the previous canister to receive the next roll.

If you don't develop your own film, you can find a dark place - like two sleeping bags, one inside the other (with a few blankets on top) - open it up and wind the film back into the canister and send it off to be processed. You'll need to be inside the sleeping bags, sitting on the opening, folded under your bottom, hunched over the exposed film. Wait a few moments for your eyes to adjust and look for light leaks. Work quickly and it's going to be hot and sweaty in there, but it works!

Otherwise, simply go into your loading room or tent with a pair of scissors, snip the tail and wind it directly onto your reel.

Last edited:
thanks, but I've looked up 126 and as neat as that sounds, it doesn't appear to be the same system. I did however, find this fascinating article on reusable 35mm cassette systems, unfortunately it still does not explain how to rewind the "cassette to cassette" thing, only that it at some point did exist :p

35mm casettes

That is odd. I was thinking back just now to the 126 cameras I've seen, and yeah, they were spool-to-spool, just like 120.

No idea what format this is, no matter though, I'm 100% sure you can't find it. What you COULD do is load your own canister, but not tape the tail to the spool, and let it just slide off into the receiving canister.

I looked around the web.. finally found a pic of the opened back of the camera.. I think your only option will be to take the film out in a dark room or changing bag and roll it back by hand. Looks like an interesting little camera.

yes thus far it seems to be the most reasonable way... I suppose I won't be shooting more than one film at a time in it then... which is ummm... hmmmm.... It just seems like there should be another way...

it is a pretty neat camera. I had a blast using it, I don't usually do the novelty camera thing, although I do love film. I've moved countries and now I can't have a dark room at the moment, so it's *sigh* digital for me right now. It was nice to take it out for a ride though, it has this unique feel of a disposable camera mixed with lomo mixed with heavy duty vintage gear. Unique, for sure!

I believe it was Agfa that made some cameras that fed from cartridge to cartridge. You had to buy the film in the special cartridges. I have one someplace in my colection that is in a box downstairs. I think some others did the same thing. The idea was to get away from having to rewind the film.

That is odd. I was thinking back just now to the 126 cameras I've seen, and yeah, they were spool-to-spool, just like 120.

No idea what format this is, no matter though, I'm 100% sure you can't find it. What you COULD do is load your own canister, but not tape the tail to the spool, and let it just slide off into the receiving canister.
126 is a cassette - unless you are talking about the 1908 version.

I believe it was Agfa that made some cameras that fed from cartridge to cartridge. You had to buy the film in the special cartridges. I have one someplace in my colection that is in a box downstairs. I think some others did the same thing. The idea was to get away from having to rewind the film.
This was called the Agfa 'Rapid" system

Most reactions

Back