Wife's eight month maternity shoot

I prefer the portrait orientation in photo number 3, but this horizontal shot showing her facial expression is quite a bit preferable to the original one which was cropped at the chin. I shot the original VR 70 to 200 for about 15 years. JB Photographer is right, the VR function can cause nervous bokeh when it is left turned on, and at fast shutter speeds like 1/500 and above it can create some strange effects which are almost impossible to describe.

I do know that when you are shooting through obstacles such as window screening or chain link fencing or gratings or even tree limbs, that quite often these obstacles cause a disruption that is visible in the bokeh.

In my first summer with the Nikon D2x in 2005 I shot quite a few portrait sessions with VR set to on, and I had some strange, "unsharp" results which puzzled me until I found out that I was committing a basic VR no-no.
Very interesting. I had no idea this was even a thing. Thanks!

Beautiful work, beautiful wife, and congratulations to you both.

So, have you bought a camera and tripod yet for the baby?

Beautiful work, beautiful wife, and congratulations to you both.

So, have you bought a camera and tripod yet for the baby?
Thanks! I mean, it would make sense to have one ready for when the baby shows interest, right? :allteeth:

These look great. I would consider increasing the color temperature on 1 and 4 though.

Most reactions

Back