Wild black snake. C&C please!

crocettikid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I found this guy sunning in the grass on day by a lake near my house. He slithered up into the nearest tree and then posed so beautifully for me!! Please critique and comment. =)

$Picture 1192.jpg

I hope that was taken with a 600mm with a 3x tele, no way would I get that close.

Holy s...!! Recently I went to the zoo and took a few of big snakes but behind thick glasses jajajaja... I wondered how it would be to find them in the wild, and you nailed it! Excellent picture! Both composition and exposure, in my opinion, are great!

Haha! I was actually almost knee deep in water and he was about a foot away. =P

Very nice! Terrific composition, focus, DOF, color, sharpness - all of it - nailed.

Nice shot! Snakes are fun to shoot in the wild... and you did well with this one...

gorgeous :) I love how pretty all the colors are in the picture and the snake is positioned perfectly with the focus right on his head. :thumbup:

That's a stunner, great capture. The only thing that could possibly improve the photo is if if he was poking his tongue out at you!

outstanding!

Can anybody identify what type of snake this is?

Great photo by the way!

Can anybody identify what type of snake this is?

Great photo by the way!

99% sure it's a black rat snake (Elaphe obsoleta)... great tree climbers. Totally harmless, although (like many snakes) may bite when they feel threatened.
Sometimes confused with the black racer, but the scales are different and the rat snake adults have white bellies, not just white chins.
Cool photo!

HalCB got the ID correct. It is a black rat.

OP, awesome shot. Very well done. I would have included a bit more depth but I really like the way this one turned out.

Indeed it's a black rat snake. He was completely docile and didn't bite/strike, but it was a little colder for a summer day. Thanks =)

Most reactions

Back