wildlife equipment

I'm not sure I'd recommend hiking with a plastic body Nikon. The d300 or d200 may be better choices for their durability and weather sealing.

Most would consider 400mm the minimum focal length for wildlife. Although with a crop sensor a 300mm f4 may suffice.

I would disagree, only on the grounds that the OP listed bear in their list of wildlife they want to photograph. My minimum for Bear/Cougar is 800mm. Since I don't have a great need for 800mm I accomplish that with a 400mm f2.8 and the Canon 2X extender. If a grizzle is filling you viewfinder at anything less than 800mm then you are likely to have your name changed to LUNCH!

I think the OP might have a long time yet before he's affording a 400mm f2.8 ;)

But the argument is certainly well made - never get too close for comfort for the sake of a photo - always stick to the safe distances and if you can't get closer then you'll just have to accept to cropping the photo or composing with a wider angle of view on the scene.

I think the OP might have a long time yet before he's affording a 400mm f2.8 ;)

But the argument is certainly well made - never get too close for comfort for the sake of a photo - always stick to the safe distances and if you can't get closer then you'll just have to accept to cropping the photo or composing with a wider angle of view on the scene.

A budget solution:

300mm f4.5 ais if-ed
+
Nikon tc-301 2x teleconverter (special tc made specifically for long telephotos).

This gives u a quality 600mm f11-- slow for sure but with today's high ISO ability its arguably as fast as a 600mm f2.8 was in the days of 400iso film-considering that many modern dslrs will perform as well at 6400iso as film did at 400iso.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back