wildlife equipment

You could follow in my footsteps. Nikon D300 and Tamron 200-500 SP F5-6.3. KEH can be very good for used equipment as they offer a 14 day return policy and a 6 month warranty. They have a used D300 in "EX" for $550 I would recommend the D300 or the D7000 over the D90 just for fine tune alone. The D7000 has a better sensor and is newer, the D300 has a better build, af system, more speed (up to 8 FPS with grip) and a bigger buffer. There is also the D300s that adds video and a second card slot) The D300 will have a steeper learning curve as there is no "green" auto mode. I also have a D90 which is a great camera, but falls short in the wildlife area (not saying it can't be done, I have many great pictures with it. The Tamron 200-500 is very good for a consumer lens but it is a trade off like most non "exotic" lenses. You can sometimes pick them up for 500-600... Feel free to check my pictures on one of my links on my signature...

There is one photog on here that has purchased a lens for like $500 used and he produces great images. So it can be done with lesser glass. It's just a lot more difficult.
Ahhhh, are you talking about me :hail:

You could follow in my footsteps. Nikon D300 and Tamron 200-500 SP F5-6.3. KEH can be very good for used equipment as they offer a 14 day return policy and a 6 month warranty. They have a used D300 in "EX" for $550 I would recommend the D300 or the D7000 over the D90 just for fine tune alone. The D7000 has a better sensor and is newer, the D300 has a better build, af system, more speed (up to 8 FPS with grip) and a bigger buffer. There is also the D300s that adds video and a second card slot) The D300 will have a steeper learning curve as there is no "green" auto mode. I also have a D90 which is a great camera, but falls short in the wildlife area (not saying it can't be done, I have many great pictures with it. The Tamron 200-500 is very good for a consumer lens but it is a trade off like most non "exotic" lenses. You can sometimes pick them up for 500-600... Feel free to check my pictures on one of my links on my signature...

Coastal is who I was talking about who produces amazing images. You take a look at any of the threads started by him in the nature and wildlife. Trust me you will be impressed.

There is one photog on here that has purchased a lens for like $500 used and he produces great images. So it can be done with lesser glass. It's just a lot more difficult.
Ahhhh, are you talking about me :hail:

That's funny you beat me to the response. Haha!

so,what would you guys reccomend on a lower end camera and a better lense for wildlife? nikon 1st,canon 2nd etc...

If you have $1000 budget I would go with what Coastalconn suggests. He really produces consistent quality photos. It's your best chance for producing some nice photos. Check out his photos on flickr you'll be impressed.

I can't make a determination on whether to go Nikon or Cannon because I have only ever used Nikon. Maybe someone with more experience could help with that. I can tell you that most here are dedicated to their brand of camera. So if it comes down to one or the other I would hold them in your hand and choose the one that has the most comfortable feel. But, that's just me.

thanks coastal! there doesnt seem to be a price differance for eitheir camera!?(online) have not looked at specs. on nikon website,is the d300 an entry level camera? am willing to learn everything about the camera.also,would this be a good UNIVERSAL CAMERA that you could shoot action sports,fishing,skiing,etc..etc..?

The D300 is not entry level. It was the highest grade of consumer (prosumer) Nikon offers in a crop sensor, however it is an older model. I think it was about $1600 when it came out? It is built for outdoors with a full magnesium alloy shell. It is not light compared to entry levels, it is more tank like, and has all controls externally through knobs and levers like metering, AF mode, a dedicated AF-ON button etc. The D300 is very capable of almost anything, only limited by the person using it. The D7000 is very close in build, but with less alloy inside and is somewhat of a D90-D300 merger. The advantage of the D7000 is less noise and more dynamic range at high iso like 1600 making it more user friendly, although if you nail the exposure on the D300, 1600 is still very use-able. The D7000/D90 get you a knob that has the standard MSAP(manual,shutter,aperture and program) plus scene modes and auto. The D300 you get MSAP and that's it.

thanks! one more question! what setup would you put together with a nikon d90(best intro lenses) for learning the curves of wildlife photography. just really like the d90 for the money.and will start with the cheapest/best wildlife lense and then move up from there.thanks so much for all your input!!!!

thanks! one more question! what setup would you put together with a nikon d90(best intro lenses) for learning the curves of wildlife photography. just really like the d90 for the money.and will start with the cheapest/best wildlife lense and then move up from there.thanks so much for all your input!!!!
Big mistake. Cheap lenses are just that, cheap. You will be much better off in the long run to save a bit longer and get a GOOD lens as opposed to a cheap lens, then a better lens, and finally a good lens.

A D90 is an excellent camera to start with. Pair it with a Nikon 70-300 and you have an excellent beginning wildlife setup. Add a GOOD 1.4 teleconverter for a bit more reach. The 70-300 is not a fast lens, and even slower with a teleconverter on it, but it is an excellent lens with good reach and a reasonable price tag for what it can do.

Coasty brought up a good point, durability. I take my d300 on rainy, snowy and dusty constructiob job sites. It gets banged around climbing ladders or squeezing into tight spots. So far, 3 years later it still runs like a dream.

wildlife is outdoors so you are going to be exposing yourself and your gear to the elements.

I think the D90 still offers a lot of bang for the buck. Someone on the forum was selling one for $400. My backup lens is a Tamron 70-300 VC which is comparable to the Nikon 70-300 VR They are 450 new with a 100 rebate or $275 used at keh. Tamron has a 6 year warranty when new, which would be good if the lens needs to be calibrated to the body.

These are on my flickr, but they are from a while ago before I learned lightroom, but to give you an idea...

Osprey - Post Breakfast by krisinct, on Flickr

Just a gull - lens test by krisinct, on Flickr

This one is a D90 and the Tamron 70-300 VC

Green Heron by krisinct, on Flickr

I'm not sure I'd recommend hiking with a plastic body Nikon. The d300 or d200 may be better choices for their durability and weather sealing.

Most would consider 400mm the minimum focal length for wildlife. Although with a crop sensor a 300mm f4 may suffice.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back