Wildlife Photography Practice

rosh4u

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I love wildlife photography but unfortunately I am not able to get that picture perfect shot whenever I click a snap. So i am thinking to go on practice mode for some time to sharpen my skills. Therefor, which can be the best places for me to practice wildlife photography? If anyone have other suggestions then please let me know!

A couple large fries at McDonalds, an open parking lot, an assistant to throw the fries in the air, shoot gulls in flight. Not sure if India has McDonalds or gulls. Camo and patience seem to work for a lot of people.

You need skill, patience and long lenses. Whatever practices those things should help.

I love wildlife photography but unfortunately I am not able to get that picture perfect shot whenever I click a snap. So i am thinking to go on practice mode for some time to sharpen my skills. Therefor, which can be the best places for me to practice wildlife photography? If anyone have other suggestions then please let me know!

yes, zoo, parks, etc. but also spend a few bucks on a bird feeder - great for wildlife .e.g. birds
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

A couple large fries at McDonalds, an open parking lot, an assistant to throw the fries in the air, shoot gulls in flight. Not sure if India has McDonalds or gulls. Camo and patience seem to work for a lot of people.
Oh a baiter I see, and from the sounds of things a master at that. :biggrin-new:

Depends on what you call wildlife.

I just get out and find wildlife and shoot it but then again I live pretty close to an area where there is wild life and large areas of fields.
Head to zoo's or parks I found these great

Dog park. You get a lot of moving animals. Any park that has a lot of squirrels. That way you learn to anticipate shots and be patient.

I would suggest zoos, dog parks, equestrian events, even sports as potential areas where you can learn the fundamentals of action based photography (which is what a fair amount of wildlife photography is). Those areas can ensure that you've moving subjects which can let you practice with following action; predicting events; playing with shutter speeds to find what works etc... Whilst its not all wildlife it is action based and so should help build up the similar skills you'll need.

However if you've wildlife centres/parks/reserves in your area then you might find bird hides and similar a far better option as you learn not just the action aspect but also start to learn how to predict motion and spot wildlife that is actual wildlife.

Finding wildlife can be hard if you're not already a hunter/birdwatcher/outdoors person; plus in some areas/countries gaining access to the wilderness can be a challenge in itself.

IF you don't have wildlife reserves or such you might consider talking to farmers or hunters; both parties will likely already have access to land and could give advice on where to go or even who to talk too to gain access. You might even find those willing to take you out to give you some advice and tips if you're lucky.

I'd recommend going to the local zoo and practicing your angles and movement shots. If you have hummingbirds in your area, put out a feeder and they are always fun to take photos of....with a challenge!

Being close to the ocean birds should be around to practice on. Sarthana Nature Park should be a good location as well. Animals are probably more active earlier in the day before the heat really kicks in. Probably have to wait till the rainy season is over though.

Most reactions

Back