Wildlife photos from Botswana and Tanzania

leepwbriggs most of the wildlife photographers I know who shoot professionaly tend to make most of their income through running tutorials, workshops and photography trips rather than image sales. Sadly images of animals tend not to sell as well (people ooh and ahh but they don't all want it on their wall) as something like landscape images (which if you're good and market well can make significant sales).

The other line is to get attached to a research or similar group and get paid for your shooting time (eg BBC and other groups)

There is also the stock and micro stock groups but I personally don't think its worth it - you make only a tiny amound per image sale and you would need to make a lot of sales to get any decent income back. In addition you also then can't go on to sell the submited images at larger prices if you get buyers.

Personally I would say make some very good prints, put them in frames and gets a few stalls in markets, country shows, fates, etc..... Maybe even contact a few local coffee, tearoom and restaurant establishments and see if they will let you hang a few images on their wall and make sales.
With markets make sure you have agood number of images ready to be sold on site - as many people will simply not make a purchase after the event (they'll lose the card or details they take down; or the image won't look as good on the preview on the computer; or that bill on the desk will stare at them and make them reluctant to spend money on the photo).

That is really fantastic advice. Thank you very much for taking the time out to write it. There are some coffee shops close bye so I will pop in and see if they are interested in hanging my photos. I love the idea of making a living out of running photography trips to places like the Serengeti, maybe one day.

To Formatted - I didn’t edit any of the photographs; I just scanned them in and uploaded.

Happy to hear you all like the Lioness shot...

Most reactions

Back