Will resolution always win?

Civil discussion of differing opinions vs name calling/flaming.

One of these is acceptable, and one of these will get you a temp ban.
If you think you need someone to explain which one gets you what,and why, please refrain from further posting until you speak with a Mod.

Please try and be civil people.
I know this must sound silly, but rules are rules.

Civil discussion of differing opinions vs name calling/flaming.

One of these is acceptable, and one of these will get you a temp ban.
If you think you need someone to explain which one gets you what,and why, please refrain from further posting until you speak with a Mod.

Please try and be civil people.
I know this must sound silly, but rules are rules.

Is it fair for me to state several posts have been removed here just so people don't get confused about why the last post was made?

Between a powerful zoom and a larger sensor I choose sensor any time. My favourite camera has no zoom at all.

If you want to shoot everything and end up with lots of mediocre images, go for a zoom. If you are more selective in what you are shooting, if you care about the IQ and have legs, go for a better sensor.

I can't argue with the logic, only with the fact I have two workable legs but no wings at all. Your point is taken tough and is being stirred into the pot.

My question for you would be, do you do a lot of cropping?

I do some cropping quite often but it does not depend on what camera I use, whether it is a zoom or a prime lense. Cropping is a product of a poor framing rather than a lack of zoom.

But it all depends on what you shoot. If you have time to frame, adjust exposure and think twice, you will crop much much less, if it is a split second decision, then some cropping is almost unavoidable.

If you shoot a person on the street who is next to you and the next minute you get attracted by a bird on a tree, then welcome to a zoom. That why I used the word "selectively".

If you are looking for a particular type of images you do not need zoom, because you know where you need to stand in relation to your subject. You get used to the focal distance, perspective and you can actually predict your framing easier with a prime.

I do some cropping quite often but it does not depend on what camera I use, whether it is a zoom or a prime lense. Cropping is a product of a poor framing rather than a lack of zoom.

But it all depends on what you shoot. If you have time to frame, adjust exposure and think twice, you will crop much much less, if it is a split second decision, then some cropping is almost unavoidable.

If you shoot a person on the street who is next to you and the next minute you get attracted by a bird on a tree, then welcome to a zoom. That why I used the word "selectively".

If you are looking for a particular type of images you do not need zoom, because you know where you need to stand in relation to your subject. You get used to the focal distance, perspective and you can actually predict your framing easier with a prime.

Much appreciated, good response. I agree with everything you've said but still have that issue of no wings. Oh, and insufficient funds for a really super top notch zoom for my DSLR. May I ask, what sort of photography do you do?

Most reactions

Back