Will Tamron set the bar for a budget wildlife lens?

Thanks Danny!

I have a baby monopod, actually called a lighty pod. It's too short and I am already looking at getting something I can be confident in and functions well - ball head, quick release plate etc.

Today I used a tripod and took most shots using it before getting restless. For the most part, I like to incorporate lots of walking while out shooting.

More shots to come shortly.

Hey those crops look great, nice and sharp. Talking about birds in flight, I lose them all the time @ 500mm so I try to track them further away then lock focus in continues focus and then pan with them until they move in closer or I get tired holding up the lens. it usually is the latter..LOL

Here are several more from this morning.

1. IMG_3212-45 by JacaRandaPhotography, on Flickr

2. IMG_3180-44 by JacaRandaPhotography, on Flickr

3. IMG_3162-43 by JacaRandaPhotography, on Flickr

4. IMG_3107-41 by JacaRandaPhotography, on Flickr

5. IMG_3087-37 by JacaRandaPhotography, on Flickr

6. IMG_3070-35 by JacaRandaPhotography, on Flickr

7. IMG_2856-20 by JacaRandaPhotography, on Flickr

There are plenty more on the Flickr page. Have to say it's a no brainer keeper and I can't wait to learn how to use it. By the time that happens hopefully I will have a camera with a better focusing system. Wifey keeps offering the 70d to play with, but I am trying to be patient for that rumor model. ;)

The images look pretty good at 600mm.
How have you found camera shake + hand held with that focal length ?

The images look pretty good at 600mm.
How have you found camera shake + hand held with that focal length ?

The camera shake is horrible. I mean I am horrible. :) The first 3 shots were handheld. It can be done and I will get better as my whole freakin body gets stronger. There are a few muscles being used I forgot existed.

Today I used the tripod for over three hundred shots. Pretty sure that is more than all other times combined. A nice monopod will be a good marriage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hmm, sounds like the VC ain't holding up it part of the job ... question is, does VC have any affect at high shutter speed ?

Monopod sounds like a good idea ... I always have one attached to my slingbag just in case.

Pretty good wide open @ f/6.3

Comments on AF speed ?

Last edited:
Those look real nice Jaca :thumbup:

Hmm, sounds like the VC ain't holding up it part of the job ... question is, does VC have any affect at high shutter speed ?

Monopod sounds like a good idea ... I always have one attached to my slingbag just in case.

Pretty good wide open @ f/6.3

Comments on AF speed ?

I told wifey I did not feel this lens did anything better than her Canon 100-400. It's just longer, heavier and not push pull zoom.

I have no complaints on AF speed when there is adequate light. When there isn't, you will have to use fulltime manual. Derrel noted this is expected or at least common with slow lenses.

VC in my opinion works fine too. 600mm is just going to magnify my movements (from 300 to 600 is a crazy jump for this old man.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Beauty !! Well done and those are looking excellent, very nice to see. The weight you get used to and its not like you have to lift for too long at any stage. Big smiles and great to see :) Its lighter than the 500 F/4.5 so you should be fine hand held once you get used to it.

All the best and great shots.

Danny.

One thing about the powerful magnification zooms it really shows how steady you are. Turn off the IS and let the fun begin.:mrgreen: I turned off the IS a couple times with the sigma @ 500mm trying zero in on a tiny bird like a nuthatch or chickadee I was getting dizzy from all the motion.

Gees, I've been looking at the shots on your flickr account using this lens, brilliant !!. For those that haven't looked, i would suggest you check his link out ;). Well worth while and that lens is in the right hands ;)

All the best Jaca, impressive work.

Danny.

Here are several more from this morning.

There are plenty more on the Flickr page. Have to say it's a no brainer keeper and I can't wait to learn how to use it. By the time that happens hopefully I will have a camera with a better focusing system. Wifey keeps offering the 70d to play with, but I am trying to be patient for that rumor model. ;)

now we're talking! Honestly I wasn't very impressed by the first trinkling of shots coming out with it, but these do it much justice.

Looked over some of the shots on flicker as suggested by Danny (AKA) nzmarco really great stuff Jaca. Gave some likes while I visited.

Just reserved (rented) this lens for a week next month. I'm impressed with the photos here and on Flickr. I have a feeling I won't like returning it after a week. :)

Most reactions

Back