Will Tamron set the bar for a budget wildlife lens?

I'm really interested in this lens. I looked at the flickr page and the images look fine to me. Just have to ask if anyone has used the lens with a canon 1.4x TC?
My current setup MarkIII 100-400+1.4x = 560mm@f/8 w/center focus point. So I assume 840mm@f/9?? w/center focus point? with the new lens.

I have yet to try it with the same 1.4x TC. TGIF. Hoping I don't have to battle with Wifey over the new toy.

However, we are using croppy cameras :) 60 & 70 Deez.

I'm really interested in this lens. I looked at the flickr page and the images look fine to me. Just have to ask if anyone has used the lens with a canon 1.4x TC?
My current setup MarkIII 100-400+1.4x = 560mm@f/8 w/center focus point. So I assume 840mm@f/9?? w/center focus point? with the new lens.

I have yet to try it with the same 1.4x TC. TGIF. Hoping I don't have to battle with Wifey over the new toy.

Hope you try it soon, should be fun! Surely she will let you try it ;)

So this beast arrived yesterday. Unfortunately, it was after work and I had no time to use it where I normally would.

The weight difference between the Tamron and the Canon 300f4 did not seem significant. However, mounted on the camera (60d gripped w/2 batteries) was damn near a shocker. It is a beast.

There will not be any extended periods of handhelds shots. I don't think I will need a gimbal head yet (my $150 SLIK tripods held it well - balanced). I will be getting a better/sturdier monopod.

IMO it focused fast on subjects that where somewhat near the same distance. However, it struggled and sometimes failed to focus on subjects that were not particularly close in distance. I had to use fulltime manual focus to get in the ballpark (my 300f4 rarely had this issue). I hope that makes sense and I will test and give more precise distance information later today. congrats.

Sorry no pics yet and hopefully these quicky first impressions don't confuse anyone.

Pictures with the new toy but hey take your time but hurry up inquiring minds want to know.

Hope you try it soon, should be fun! Surely she will let you try it ;)

The 1.4x III does not fit :( The lens has bits that won't allow the extender to be inserted :(

I must have missed the post where you showed us the test pictures :confused:

Jaca, You don't need no stinking tele-extender!!!! (Remember that movie. with Bogart and the fake police? lol) You can crop the 60 and 70 Deeeezzes images and get tighter framing!!!

It seems like the ONLY TC units that used to work on lenses off-list were those "Pro" series ones from ________. Drawing a blank on the brand name.

Jaca, You don't need no stinking tele-extender!!!! (Remember that movie. with Bogart and the fake police? lol) You can crop the 60 and 70 Deeeezzes images and get tighter framing!!!

It seems like the ONLY TC units that used to work on lenses off-list were those "Pro" series ones from ________. Drawing a blank on the brand name.

Indeed you are right. I seriously don't need no stinking tc. I get seasick dizzay just by the camera shake at 600mm. The cheap beer hangover kinda feeling. :)

Oops, X 1.6 so 960 seasickish

I LOVE the way goslings have that almost neon-yellow coloration for a week or two during the early stages!!! it does not last very long. So...you got the new 150-600...I think a LOT of people are really interested in hearing how that thing actually performs. It has sooooo much reach for just over a thousand dollars! I've seen some samples from it. I think it has a lovely defocused background look to its images.

You are right. I first saw these little ones on Wednesday and today I could see the change; in size also.

Wifey ordered the lens back in January. Not fair that it arrived 40 years later on a Tuesday while I was at work.
Tomorrow should be fun as I will have a full day with it.

The price was the main factor in the decision to buy it. Everything else anywhere near that range is a dream or bankruptcy court :er::drool:

You are right. I first saw these little ones on Wednesday and today I could see the change; in size also.

Wifey ordered the lens back in January. Not fair that it arrived 40 years later on a Tuesday while I was at work.

The price was the main factor in the decision to buy it. Everything else anywhere near that range is a dream or bankruptcy court :er::drool:

Looking forward to seeing more shots. Nicely done. The biggest issue and especially for BIF's, is finding the darn things to start with at those focal lengths :) Often use the 800mm with a 1.4x and its not easy on APS-c. A 500-600 seems easy after that.

Anyway, congrats and its looking really good ;) Well done.

Danny.

Kenko? I did some searching last night, someone talked to Tamron and said no TC will work on the 150-600. Either way I'm still wanting to try this lens. It's a cheap rental, might try it for a week before giving up my 100-400.
Jaca, thanks for trying!

Looking forward to seeing more shots. Nicely done. The biggest issue and especially for BIF's, is finding the darn things to start with at those focal lengths :) Often use the 800mm with a 1.4x and its not easy on APS-c. A 500-600 seems easy after that.

Danny.

No doubt Danny - it was truly a challenge. More times than not, I keep my left eye open (right eye on vf). It did not help at all. An osprey flew right over me maybe 20 ft off the ground and in perfect light this morning. I did not even attempt to lift the camera.

Danny.

No doubt Danny - it was truly a challenge. More times than not, I keep my left eye open (right eye on vf). It did not help at all. An osprey flew right over me maybe 20 ft off the ground and in perfect light this morning. I did not even attempt to lift the camera.

It is tough work for sure. Once you go from 500 to 600 - 800mm in visual focal length there is a huge difference. A lot want it, but when they get it, they wonder why :) Having said that though, those focal lengths pull in so much and of course, you don't need to crop near as much and still end up with a sharp shot. Well worth while if you are stubborn with it. Once you start lifting it and nail a few shots, the technique with those focal length's all falls into place. It will happen for sure, guaranteed with what I've seen of your shots so far, here and on flickr. Excellent shooting !!. 20 meters might be pushing it though ;), very hard at a close distance like that.

Are you using a monopod at all ??. Its a huge help to start with. I use the old NEX-7 and the EVF is on the left hand side and using the right eye is really easy and same as you, left eye is always open as well.

All the best and looking forward to a few more shots with it, seems pretty darn sharp from what I've seen. Good on you :)

Danny.

Most reactions

Back