Will the Canon 70D be a good upgrade for me? - Opinions please

Well I'm a Nikon guy myself but jaca's wife shoots canon and her pictures are amazing.

Jaca also shoots canon - and his wifes pics are amazing.

Lol - just kidding of course big guy. What can I say sometimes I just can't help myself

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk

Well I'm a Nikon guy myself but jaca's wife shoots canon and her pictures are amazing.

Lol - just kidding of course big guy. What can I say sometimes I just can't help myself

:lmao: I need to trick her into posting something worthy of getting a band. I also need to break the news to her that she is using the camera all wrong. It's specifically made for video.....RTFM. LOL

:lmao: I need to trick her into posting something worthy of getting a band. I also need to break the news to her that she is using the camera all wrong. It's specifically made for video.....RTFM. LOL

Good lord man don't tell her that - if she ever gets her hands on a real camera we'll never keep up.. lol

I know you are looking to keep for 10 years; but I have to wonder if you might not be better served (since video is not on your list) hitting something a little farther down the chain and going for 5 years. Or the saved money could be put into a great lens. A t3i and 70-200 F/4 L would fit. Go used and you can get the IS version.

A switch to Nikon is something worth considering, esp if you decide to go full-frame (thus devalidating some of your existing lenses). The better low-light performance might be useful and the higher resolution should make obsolescence later.

I did think about switching to Nikon but decided to stay with Canon since that is what a very good friend of mine has as well. We will often go out with each other for the day to take photos and it is nice to be able to exchange lenses together based on we want/need at that particular moment. Since neither one of us has much $ we tend to verify with the other before we purchase a new lens or some other accessory to make sure the other doesn't already have it. That way we have more to play with when we go out and if one of us is going out alone we will stop off at the others place and raid their supplies. Of course he would be thrilled if I switched, that way he could borrow my stuff permanently if my daughter didn't beat him to it (as mentioned before she will be inheriting my 20D when I upgrade, originally my friend was going to get it but his GF purchased him a new T3i for X-Mas since he killed the shutter button on his old one from using it so much).

If you had bought the $2k camera 10 years ago, you would be trading in your 6MP 10D now.
If you had gone for the $1k 6MP 300D instead, you would have gotten a T1i 16MP 5 years ago which you would now be about to trade in.

There is, I think, value in a more rapid trade-up cycle of lower-cost camera. I believe that you face diminishing returns as you move up the camera lines (unless there is a specific need not met by a lesser camera).

You mentioned a mechanical failure of a camera of a friend of yours. That's another thing to consider when planning a 10-year purchase. A lesser camera also makes absorbing a post-warranty loss easier.

JerryLove - Valid points. I think the failure of my friends camera was due to so much use. He received it as a hand-me-down and would spend approximately 6-10 hours a day with it in the woods and swamp taking photos of anything and everything (the county saw some of his stuff and he now has a few photos on display in some of the govt buildings in the area). I would guess he was taking nearly a thousand shots a day for nearly 3 years with that particular camera (photography is his "new addiction" after he gave up another bad one). I just wish I had as much time as he does to take photos!

Just wanted to thank everyone again for their input. I ended up getting the 70D today with the 18-135mm IS STM kit lens. I am still looking at possibly getting a used full frame (probably the 6D but not 100% sure) sometime in the next year or so. I'm currently waiting on the Tamron 150-600mm lens to come out. I am hoping that with that lens (if it gets good reviews, I'll wait till it's been out a few months before getting it) and what I currently have that it will be enough to keep me happy until I can start saving up for some of the really nice lenses and slowly upgrade them over time. I haven't had time to play with the new camera yet but am sure I will like it (the battery is still charging)!

Anyways, thanks again for all the help! I don't do much posting but have done tons of reading on the forums and am learning alot. The one thing I've noticed, that I really like, is that everyone on here seems to get along pretty well even if they don't agree on something, you don't see that on most forums these days!

I completely agree, the 6D.
70D I would recommend for video, so if you don't do that, it is wasteful I'd say to not get the full frame and to spend so much on a crop. The price is mostly for its video friendly AF system.

Lenses aren't a huge deal. Yes you need all full frame lenses, but you can sell your EF-S one(s) for like $150, which means you get a free 50mm f/1.8 ($100). So you're at 2 without spending anything.
And then with the kit lens on the 6D (24-105L f/4), you have a good lineup. Definitely get the kit lens. It's only like $300-400 extra in the kit, still under $2000 I think, and its used resale price is like $600 so you really cannot go wrong. If you don't like it for some reason just immediately sell it and probably make money...

So 70-300
50 1.8
24-105 4

Perfectly usable lens collection, all full frame. Do eeeet!

Everywhere I look the 6D with 24-105 kit lens is 2500.

Most reactions

Back