Will theses old lenses work?

WRM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
New to the digital photography game so I could use some help on this one. I've got a D40 w/ the kit lens on the way, in the meantime I was wondering if these old lenses I have could work w/ the D40 body?

135mm 1:28 Vivitar Telephoto
Makonon 1:3.5 F80-200

I'm pretty sure that neither will fit the D40 w/ out some kind of converter. I found the link below on ebay and was wondering if this would do the trick. If not, is there any way to make these lenses work w/ the D40 and what kind of functionality would I have (other than no AF.)

NIKON AI 2X Tele-converter Teleconverter By Vivitar 2X3 - eBay (item 390023631965 end time Feb-11-09 05:54:01 PST)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
you just have to check if they have the same mount. I'm a canon guy so can't tell you a lot about nikon mounts...o and the link you posted is a teleconverter, which means it doubles the focal length of the lens.

you just have to check if they have the same mount. I'm a canon guy so can't tell you a lot about nikon mounts...o and the link you posted is a teleconverter, which means it doubles the focal length of the lens.

Gotcha, then i'm pretty sure the mounts won't match up. If I remember correctly the 2 lenses in question were fully threaded and had to be screwed all the way on whereas the Nikon is just a quarter turn and it locks, i could be wrong though.

They do make adapters for older lenses to fit. The base line ebay ones are about $40-$50.

But remember, you will have to manually focus. This is a pain in the ass to do unless you have 10/10 vision since there is no splitter in our viewfinders.

They do make adapters for older lenses to fit. The base line ebay ones are about $40-$50.

But remember, you will have to manually focus. This is a pain in the ass to do unless you have 10/10 vision since there is no splitter in our viewfinders.

Manual focusing gets easier the more you do it. Plenty of photographers (even some on here) use manual focus with normal focusing screens (myself included), and it's just something you have to get used to. Split-image screens are also available third-party aftermarket for many digital SLRs, so this might also be worth looking into.

Oh, and I definitely don't have 10/10 vision either (although, if I am not mistaken, that would just be a very unusual way to express "normal").

Most reactions

New Topics

Back