Will this tripod head fit my body + legs?

LenaBambina

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm shopping for my first tripod and decided to get the legs and head separately. How do I know whether or not the head will fit my tripod legs and camera body? Most of the heads don't explicitly state which frame they can support and I don't know which spec to look at instead.

With a few exceptions (odd-ball cheap makes and high end video) most legs and heads use a standard 1/4NC thread. Some of the larger medium format ones may use 3/8NC but that will normally be specified. If it's a name-brand (Giottos, Manfrotto, RRS, Benbo, etc) and it doesn't mention it, it's probably safe to assume it will work. If you're using the same brand of legs & head, it's pretty much a certainty.

Good catch, yeah, sorry, 3/8NC for most legs-to-head, with 1/2NC (and even 5/8) for bigger MF & LF.

And sometimes the threads are reversible. Most of my tripods have a bolt which is 1/4" thread on one end, 3/8" on the other, and I can reverse it. If I'm attaching a head I put the 3/8" thread up (most heads use 3/8") but if i wanted to directly attach anything that uses a 1/4" thread (camera, flash, or a number of other things that tend to use 1/4" size) I can flip it over (although I almost never do that.)

It's also nice to have a tripod with a swappable center post. I have a standard center post and a very short center post. The short post allows me to spread the legs to put the camera height almost to the ground. Normally the post length would keep the camera from going any lower, but since I have a short post I can just swap posts and keep lowering the tripod height.

I'm looking at this particular head: Oben BA-0 Ball Head BA-0 B&H Photo Video It has the standard tripod-to-head measurement, but it has a bunch of other measurements on there that don't match the 1/4'' socket size of my camera body. I'm not sure if this is an obscure brand or if it is included in the standards that tirediron mentioned.

Could somebody put that head's specs in layman's terms for me? Especially the "reducer bushing" mentioned in the tripod mount field.

You probably won't need the bushing, but for the $3, go ahead and get one. You may find a need for it someday.

What is the bushing, exactly? I've never even heard of it..

Nothing but a hollow brass or aluminum turning with 3/8NC male threads on the outside and 1/4NC female thread on the insidewhich will thread into the bottom of the head and allow you to mount it to either a 3/8 or 1/4 screw. This will fit 99.9% of tripods with a removable head.

Does that mean it will also allow me to fit it onto my camera body, since it has a 1/4 socket?

Okay. Thank you :) Do you have any opinion of that particular head, by any chance? The reviews seem promising and I'm definitely considering buying it, I'm just a tiny bit reserved since it's not one of the brands that usually get referenced when I ask about tripods.

Okay. Thank you :) Do you have any opinion of that particular head, by any chance? The reviews seem promising and I'm definitely considering buying it, I'm just a tiny bit reserved since it's not one of the brands that usually get referenced when I ask about tripods.

One thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't have a tension control. When using a long lens the camera is nose heavy and I like to be able to adjust the tension to compensate for that. That would not be possible with this head.

Also, read the part about "What's In The Box" and you'll see that it already includes a reducing bushing so purchasing one would be a waste.

One thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't have a tension control. When using a long lens the camera is nose heavy and I like to be able to adjust the tension to compensate for that. That would not be possible with this head.

Also, read the part about "What's In The Box" and you'll see that it already includes a reducing bushing so purchasing one would be a waste.

Oh, I know the bushing is included, I just didn't know what it was is all. I normally use my small 40mm, but I do have a 55-300mm as well so I guess it'd be best to be able to accommodate it just in case. I'm just starting out and have no idea how often I'll need or want a tripod, so the one I'm putting together right now just needs to be able to keep my equipment safe so I can use it to gauge my needs and eventually upgrade to a more serious set, if it turns out I'll need one. Instead of immediately dropping $1k and then realizing "actually I don't really need something so heavy-duty."

Most reactions

Back