Will this work with Nikon D60?

Uh....Both Canon and Nikon cameras auto focus with the lens wide open, regardless the aperture selected for the exposure.

The lens stops down for the exposure (if set to smaller than wide open), then opens back up to it's widest aperture so it can AF for the next shot.

Uh....Both Canon and Nikon cameras auto focus with the lens wide open, regardless the aperture selected for the exposure.

Being the one that brought up Canon, are you sure you read my post correctly? I was referring to using autofocus when shooting wide open and the DoF is shallow. The AF system normally does a better job getting the bits that I want sharp in focus than my eyes.

He's saying you are always focusing wide open, regardless of your set aperture, regardless of manual or auto focus.

He's saying you are always focusing wide open, regardless of your set aperture, regardless of manual or auto focus.

Yeah, I know...?

I guess I don't understand how that applies to my post. I was saying personally that I prefer to use autofocus when shooting wide open. I understand that the aperture diaphragm changes when the shutter is tripped, but my post made no mention of that. Just that I prefer to use AF when shooting wide open, or close to it since it's faster and more accurate than I am with a razor thin DoF.

I guess I read it the same way as he might have...as in, what difference does it make.

So get this lens or no? haha
Im on a low budget so the whole $300 more dollars for auto focus is making me shy away from that one.

Only you can make that call, would manual focus bother you? It would me... I'd go for the 35mm f/1.8G and take a couple steps forward when shooting to gain the fast autofocus ability.

If you only shoot things that don't move it might be fine with the 50mm. Today's bodies don't seem like they are as well suited for manual focus in general.

I guess I read it the same way as he might have...as in, what difference does it make.

I think what o hey tyler means is that you have more leeway for small focusing errors with smaller apertures (greater DOF), so it's easier to get away with manual focusing under those conditions.

I think what o hey tyler means is that you have more leeway for small focusing errors with smaller apertures (greater DOF), so it's easier to get away with manual focusing under those conditions.

Nailed it.

and i still think, why bother?

But it comes from how I work, where, when I can, I manual focus when dof is shallow. Or when i am utilizing hyperfocal distances. Not because there is room for slop.

*shrugs*

I see it as situation dependant, rather than aperture dependant.

Well don't go for the bundle with crap myself.
as that one adds up to $203.97 + $10.95 shipping from Andorama

When I can get the lens without for $193 and free shipping from amazon.
So less hassles on returns/exchange and maybe faster delivery?
And no real need for uv filter for this lens as hood works great that comes with.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I bought the 50mm 1.8 and don't regret if for a second. The manual focus didn't slow me down much, and shouldn't anyone else either since the focus indicator light works like a champ.

Also, if you upgrade your body someday in the future, the models with the AF motor in the body WILL af perfectly with that lens.

FWIW, my .02, IANAL etc.

Most reactions

Back