It seems all the woodpeckers here exhibit very peculiar behaviors before actually making it to the feeders. Caution is their watchword.
It appears the Red-headed Woodpecker is the least frequent visitor to my backyard. Fortunately, I do see it a couple of times each week, but it is sporadic at best.
The Northern Flickers are definitely a pair and I do believe there is a juvenile in the mix. I've seen three at the same time (in separate trees) and one was feeding another after it had a spent some time at the suet feeder. Since they have been the hardest to photograph, they have been the most sought after. I have finally gotten a few shots that are actually identifiable. The only thing is that I never thought about looking on the ground, my eyes had always been focused up in the trees. Go figure.
In profile
The red Vee on the back of its head
Headshot
I want to show this image for the following reasons:
1) The white patch of feathers on the backside are indicative of the woodpeckers here
2) They take off fast or is it that I am too slow
3) I like the abstractness
BTW, I'm just gonna entertain myself in this thread. At my age, I have plenty of experience with that. :lmao: