I am new at this, so do not take what I say as gospel.
First, that is a cozy place...:mrgreen:
The second photo looks a little overexposed. Since I am new, I have been taking a large number of photos using bracketing. It helps me to understand that function a little better. One day I may not need it as much, but there are times now I am not sure what exposure works best with the available lighting of the scene.
In the first image the shadows caused by such a bright and sunny day totally hide the front of the house, which to me would of been a key element in the image, with its log cabin look and feel.
Try shooting at different hours where the sun isn't so bright,maybe with some cloud coverage and such. Or look into processing techniques such as HDR that can help balance our an image's contrast.
Not a fan of the black borders around both images, I find them distracting. But thats me
As mentioned above the face of the cabin is too dark so I used the "Backlight" tool in Photoscape to bring up the detal in the shadows. Photoscape is a free download.