TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
wintereinbruch.jpg

Hi. Is this shot on film ?

Hi. Is this shot on film ?

Yes it is, with a Minolta Riva on APX 100 and developed in Adonal for five and a half minutes at 23°C.

Looks like something is wrong. Too grainy. Looks like under exposed and over developed. In any case wintery landscape (with snow) needs sun and yellow filter. Otherwise it will be just gray overall.

Last edited:
Los like something is wrong. Too grainy. Looks like under exposed and over developed. In any case wintery landscape (with snow) needs sun and yellow filter. Otherwise it will be just gray overall.
Well, that's one opinion. ;) If the look the OP was going for was of winter desolation, why try to cheer it up with sun? I also see tonal range here, so it's not just a grayed-out scene. I do agree that the grain is a bit pronounced here, and that could be from over-agitation, but I also think there are times when grain becomes an element in and of itself. This is one of those rare times when I think it's adding to the feel of a rough, harsh cold winter scene. For me, it works here, and I like it.

So, there's another opinion. :lol: Just my two cents.

We're awaiting our first snowstorm of the season. When I saw this picture, I was totally depressed. If that's what the OP was going for, it works perfectly! Nice use of grain to make the image more "gritty".

Looks like something is wrong. Too grainy. Looks like under exposed and over developed. In any case wintery landscape (with snow) needs sun and yellow filter. Otherwise it will be just gray overall.

The Minolta can't take filters but I've loaded some film in my Spotmatic and will try out your advice when possible.
For this scene, I figured the meter might need a little help so I selected the in-camera option of overexposing by 1.5 stops (which is as much as this P&S allows) to try and avoid too much muddy grey.

Los like something is wrong. Too grainy. Looks like under exposed and over developed. In any case wintery landscape (with snow) needs sun and yellow filter. Otherwise it will be just gray overall.
Well, that's one opinion. ;) If the look the OP was going for was of winter desolation, why try to cheer it up with sun? I also see tonal range here, so it's not just a grayed-out scene. I do agree that the grain is a bit pronounced here, and that could be from over-agitation, but I also think there are times when grain becomes an element in and of itself. This is one of those rare times when I think it's adding to the feel of a rough, harsh cold winter scene. For me, it works here, and I like it.

So, there's another opinion. :lol: Just my two cents.

This could come out a bit rough was what went through my mind when taking this shot. The grain might have been exaggerated by over doing the agitation but that wasn't intentional if so: I'm pretty new to developing my own film and have a lot to learn. Any tips would be gratefully received!

Works for me.

Me too. Thanks.

We're awaiting our first snowstorm of the season. When I saw this picture, I was totally depressed. If that's what the OP was going for, it works perfectly! Nice use of grain to make the image more "gritty".

Thanks. Not sure I can claim it came out just the way I wanted: I'm still too much of a novice with DIY film developing for that. However, the bleakness of the scene is what drew my eye and is what I wanted to capture, so I'm quite pleased with the result.

Thanks very much for the feedback everyone.

Tips for developing own film ? I would have some. If you are really interested. About 50% of all writings on b&w photography is devoted to film development. It is that important. And also it is uniquely personal, almost intimate to each photographer with so many possible variables. On the end could be very satisfying.

This second shot was taken shortly before Christmas using a Revue AC-3s. APX 400 pushed to 1600 and developed for 30 minutes at 20°C. It was a very dull day and the mood is what comes through for me here: I think the high amount of grain helps create a certain atmospheric feel. Your milage may vary and I'd bee very interested to get any feedback on this photo.

trees on ridge at rederzhausen.jpg

I like this one. It would be interesting to print it larger, than standard 8×10.

I like this one. It would be interesting to print it larger, than standard 8×10.

Thanks, Timor. On Monday I'll get a 20 x 30 (cm) print, which is the biggest size I can get here at the local drugstore. If it looks half-way decent at that size, I may pay a visit to a place in Augsburg that could print it larger for me.

Thanks, Timor. On Monday I'll get a 20 x 30 (cm) print, which is the biggest size I can get here at the local drugstore. If it looks half-way decent at that size, I may pay a visit to a place in Augsburg that could print it larger for me.
Digital print ? Or real silver-gelatine ?

I like these images. I am still finding my way developing and does make a difference.

Digital print ? Or real silver-gelatine ?

Digital in Friedberg, possibly silver-gelatine in Augsburg. Excuse my ignorance (I'm quite new at DIY photo developing) but would there be a big difference?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back