Wintery scenes

bla

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It's been pretty cold out, -20 Celsius is no weather to go out in. This was one of the few breaks in freezing weather we've had.

1. St-Joseph's Oratory
oratory.jpg
Oratoryandtree.jpg
Lightshnow.jpg
moonlit.jpg
silvery.jpg

A quick question while I'm at it, does anyone have any tips on focusing manually in the dark? I'm having a hard time getting it right, and some of my photos just look downright smudged.

EDIT: oops, maybe some of this shouldn't be in landscape and nature..... sorry!

oops, maybe some of this shouldn't be in landscape and nature..... sorry!

OK, this can easily be corrected: moved it to the General Gallery! :D
Cheers, your friendly mod :biggrin:

Hey, there actually is icy-cold weather somewhere then?
Wow. Not where I am. It has stayed way too warm all through winter so far, apart from maybe a week of wintery weather. But that was all.

I do like your first picture here.
I like composition (more than in 2), light, atmosphere (I begin to feel cold merely by looking at it! *shiver*) ... all.

Photo 3 shows one of the floodlights that illuminate that church at night? (What is the difference between an oratory and a church?) That one looks even colder, I am beginning to FREEZE here! ;)

The other two don't do that much for me, too dark (last), too blurred (moon) ... for a photo of the moon through branches you need to focus manually, the branches will otherwise drive your autofocus crazy! And you may expose on the moon much more shortly than your camera will suggest, it is actually quite quite bright. Sometimes even 1/125 will already suffice.

Focussing in the dark ... well, all I can think of is: Bring a flashlight (torch), illuminate your scene for focusing (best be manually), and then set the camera for exposure when the scene is dark again (or the other way round?) --- or use your car lights or so? But for the second you need an assistent ... Argh, just letting my thoughts run free here, I have spent too much time on TPF by now, I need a break!

The first one is really a keeper, but I think I would have been even better if you were able to make the cross on the roof sharper, and stronger, and I think that it would add another factor (can I say that? :lol:) to a already powerful image. A little photoshoping would help that. :) I am not a big fan of the comp on the second one, but maybe thats just me. I don't know if it's my monitor (since I'm at school right now), but the last one seems far too dark here. I can't even see what you've captured. I'll check that later at home..The tree and the moon is a great idea, just too bad it got so blurry.. And yeah, I KNOW, - it's hard to do manual focusing in the dark. Go auto. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back