[WIP] My First Personal Photography Project

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by FamilyID, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Snakeguy101

Snakeguy101 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I gave my honest opinion and I did include some ways that I thought the OP could improve. Sorry for not sugar coating it with so many words. Do you really think that your post is better? It is nothing positive or constructive and it has in insult...

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  2. dsiglin

dsiglin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    To the OP: take Derrel's post to heart. Not only shoot every day, compose every day. Before hitting that shutter button look at your composition twice, or three times. Adjust it slightly to make it better or greatly but never go shoot rapid fire with no long pause to ponder your composition. You can take a lot of photos, even every day, and in 8 months time be basically where you started. Practice doesn't make perfect, it makes permanent. Study the various "rules" of composition, enable rule of third guidelines on your camera. Again, slow down and focus on great composition. Once you have composition down start working on using the natural light in a scene to sculpt the image. Photography is drawing with light. Obviously if you are doing wedding photography you will want to learn how to use fill light. This is something I'm just learning. Read this to learn about off camera flash. Good luck.

3. FamilyID

FamilyID TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I added a couple more steps or things that I need to do.

4. Eclectix

Eclectix TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You can fit more people into frame with an 18mm lens than you could at the same distance from the subjects with a 24mm, but there are more factors than this to consider. For instance, this will also affect how much background falls into the frame- including potentially unsightly objects. It will also most notably cause perspective distortions which are likely to produce unflattering views of your subjects. Also, it will have a greater depth of field, meaning that your background will appear nearly as sharp as your subjects- that coupled with a lack of lighting equipment means that they will blend into the background and produce a very flat looking image. If at all possible it is best to get further from your subjects and use a narrower angle- I would suggest at least 35mm (although 55 to 85 would be even better yet).

You said that you do not plan to get any more equipment except for perhaps an inexpensive telephoto lens, but if you are serious about pursuing this at all then I would at least suggest looking into some basic strobe equipment. You can get a basic starting setup fairly inexpensively- especially when weighed against the cost of travel to China. In my admittedly novice opinion, I think a basic strobe setup will be of much more use to you than a telephoto lens for wedding photography.

And, not to beat a dead horse but I would also echo the general sentiment in this thread; practice every opportunity you get if you are serious about your goal. Some people learn more quickly than others, but not without a lot of study and practice.

5. FamilyID

FamilyID TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for the help. I don't know about this... Wedding photography seems to be pretty tough. I'll have to think about this again.

6. Devinhullphoto

Devinhullphoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    In about 2 weeks I'm doing a wedding. I've been into photography for like 6 years or so but always an hobbyist. I'm nervous as hell and its not because I know I can't get shots but because its in a barn. The barn is decently lit but it worries me. My wife loves photographing people and stuff like this. I'm more of her backup than the main photog.

Just practice daily and as stated above get down composition. A photo can be technically good but if its composed badly or the people are in a bad pose than it will reflect. If you don't think you have the confidence in getting great shots, than it would probably be best to let a pro do it. However I think learning is a must and after a while if you still feel uneasy, let her know.

7. FamilyID

FamilyID TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Yea... She's going to get a pro photographer, odds are...