wireless flashes

c_mac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i have been researching this for some time. i shoot bmx and skateboarding, and now after much practice i feel its time to get a proper setup. i am looking to get two flashes(for now) and some type of wireless system.

now i know that adorama/bh sells a canon kit(2 580ex's and st-e2). its right at $1k. at first i thought this would be my best best, and it still may be. but my real question is, would i be better off buying another like set-up. say possibly some cheaper(cost not quality) flashes and buying the pocket wizards?

i am shooting with a 30D and will be using either the ef-s 10-22 or just a plain fisheye. i am by no means limiting myself to canon i just want something of good quality.

also i have thought of possibly just getting a 580ex using it as the trigger to fire a 430. but i would prefer to get the flash of the camera...

TIA

I'm not 100% sure of this...so check it out yourself...

The advantage of using the Canon units, is that you can retain E-TTL metering. With pocket wizards or other means of triggering them...you will have to find another way to meter the light.

Big Mike said:
I'm not 100% sure of this...so check it out yourself...

The advantage of using the Canon units, is that you can retain E-TTL metering. With pocket wizards or other means of triggering them...you will have to find another way to meter the light.
that is what i have read...but i also have read that if the flash sensor for the IR isn't pointed toward the camera that sometimes it will not fire. and this is supposedly very common on bright days?!

the E-TTL is definitely a feature that i would like to keep, but not at the cost of functionality. i don't mind having to meter, as long as i can rely that my flash is going to fire. because in some situations, having someone pull a trick for a second time is very difficult.

ok so here is what i think i am going to do....

i am going to use the pocket wizards and go with the sunpak 383 flashes.

cost-wise it is about $250 cheaper...but will more than likely be a better more expandable approach... the canons would be nice, but just the fact that i have heard of quite a few difficulties using these outdoors. and that is the main focus of where i will be using them.

thanks big mike!

Most reactions

Back