Wireless/IR remote triggering for Canon 350D?

Chris of Arabia

Herding cats since 1988...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can anyone suggest what options are out there for triggering the shutter on my 350D. I've got a cable trip, but it's only about 90cm long and need something that will allow me to fire the shutter at up to 20' away. The key thing I need though is for it to work with the STE-2 transmitter that will be on the hot-shoe.

Can anyone offer me any ideas?

The ST-E2 is a flash trigger sending unit...I'm not aware that it has anything to do with firing the shutter.

To remotely fire the shutter (and subsequently the flash as well), you could use the RC-1 or the RC-5 remotes.

Thanks Mike. I should have been a bit clearer. I meant that I didn't want something that needed to use the hot shoe, because that would have the STE2 on it for precisely the reason you mention.

I've done some more research and there do seem to be things out there that will do the job, quite neatly, but it's quite tricky trying to establish whether they are any good.

How do the RC-1 and RC-5 trigger the camera, as you only ever seem to see the controller shown. Does the 350D have some sort of receiver built in or is there another bit to it that no one shows you?

I think the 350D has built-in connectivity with the remote controllers. It's weird because the higher level cameras (like my 20D) are not compatible with the remotes :scratch:

That is correct. The 350D does have a built-in wireless receiver. I picked up the RC-1 for less than $25 and it works great. If I had to approximate, it did work at around the 15-20ft range. Hope this info is useful.

EDIT: If you look right beneath the shutter button, there is a small IR window built into the grip. It's not very overt and blends in well.

I picked up a few comments whilst I was looking round that suggested you needed to be in front of the camera, more or less pointing the the RC-1 at the IR window - do you find that you need to be that accurate with it?

The neatest solution I've found on the RF front is something from these guys - Zap-Shot, but it seems to work out around $145.00 by the time you've had it shipped anywhere. The plus point is that it's not sensitive to the direction the controller fob is pointed in.

It depends on where you are. IR usually needs line of sight from sender to receiver, when outdoors with nothing to bounce off of. Indoors, it works pretty well without line of site.

Radio systems are more versatile in this regard.

I picked up a few comments whilst I was looking round that suggested you needed to be in front of the camera, more or less pointing the the RC-1 at the IR window - do you find that you need to be that accurate with it?

Yes! Mine won't fire at all unless standing on and pointing at the side with the sensor. Not a big deal though. Still better than using the self-timer.

Aputure makes remotes for Canon but I'm not certain if they make one specifically for the 350D. I am actually looking right now to see what I can find. I would prefer to have a remote that will fire from all directions!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back