Wireless Options

Trevor Harris

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all,

My current setup is a Nikon D200 with a SB-600. I'm currently communicating to the 600 through my pop-up flash. I have no need for CLS as I always shoot in manual. I'm looking to get a second flash and the best option to do that.

The first option is to get another 600 and still use my current means of communication (popup-flash), but that generally annoys me because I do get miss-fires outside when the 600 can't see the flash (since the sensor is only on one side), plus I find I need close proximity for flashing, yadda yadda yadda.

So the other option is to get some wireless triggers and another (perhaps cheaper) flash. I know the pocket wizards are popular, but I don't feel like I need all the bells and whistles. Again, I'm working in manual so are there cheaper alternatives out there? And as far as the flash goes, with a wireless trigger can I just stick on any flash I can get my hands on (irrelevant of age). If so, any suggestions?

Thanks!

Trevor

Amazon.com: Yongnuo RF-603 N1 2.4GHz Wireless Flash Trigger/Wireless Shutter Release Transceiver Kit for Nikon D1/D2/D3/D200/D300/D700: Electronics

Just bought these for $28 and they are amazing. Easy to use, and work GREAT. Granted, they aren't pocket wizards, but for 30 bucks you can't beat em. I also ordered Cowboy Studio triggers but I feel the build quality was sub par and not as nice as the Yongnuo. I tested these last night up to about 50 yards and it never misfired. I could have gone farther, just simply ran out of time.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Cool, thanks for the link. Although I do have 2 questions.

1) What's the sync chord to the camera all about? Does it not pick up the the shutter release from the shot shoe?
2) What flashes are they compatible with?

The cable is for use with studio strobes. Note that one end of the cable has what looks to be a camera body PC port connector.

Those are compatible with any flash unit that has an industry standard ISO 518:2006 hot shoe.

ok, right on. Any suggestions for flashes, or anything to stay away from?

ok, I looked around a little and the sb-23 from Nikon looks to be promising. Nice and small with descent power output and recycle time. Good? Yeah? I don't care about the brand name.

For an inexpensive manual flash look into the yn-560 or the yn-565 same manual features but can be talk to the camera. Excellent features, price and the build was much better than I was expecting. For triggers i have been using Cowboy Studio NPT-04s they are cheap @$20. I'm sure they don't have the range that some of the other triggers have but I haven't had any failures with them. Did I mention they are cheap? For triggers I have been looking into the Pixel Kings. They offer long range and can handle TTL. Even if your shooting manual they allow you to adjust the power and zoom on remote flashes right from the camera. They aren't as inexpensive as the Cowboy Studio or Yongnuo triggers but are still much cheaper than Pocket Wizards.

The cable is for use with studio strobes. Note that one end of the cable has what looks to be a camera body PC port connector.

Those are compatible with any flash unit that has an industry standard ISO 518:2006 hot shoe.
Actually, while these units do feature PC ports (and they come in handy for me quite often actually), the short cable shown is for using the triggers as a remote shutter trigger, and won't fit a PC port. You park one unit on top of your camera in the hot shoe, plug the cable between it and the remote shutter port on the body, and then you can use another unit in your hand as a remote radio trigger to fire the camera through it. The hot shoe then communicates to the radio trigger sitting on it to fire, and that signals any other triggers on remotes to fire.

PC port cables are not included.

I use 6 of these units frequently. One in my hand as a remote trigger, one in the hot shoe with cable connected to the remote shutter port on the camera, and (up to) the other four on my four speedlights. They work great, and are actually easier to set up and use than my expensive Radio Poppers.

I'm using the Yongnuo 560 flash with the Yongnuo RF-603 wireless triggers on my D5100; one trigger on my hot shoe, the other on the flash and I've had no problems with it, other than the basic issue of learning what in the blue blazes I'm doing.

Hmm... Here's something I didn't think of. As it stand right now with Nikon's CLS, I can control the output of each flash from the camera. with the triggers, I can only control it on the flash itself. Which would mean lots of running around with multiple flashes. are there triggers that can control flash output, or has such a thing yet to be developed?

I have no need for CLS as I always shoot in manual.
When I put my flashes on lightstands, I always use manual as well, but the possibility to set flash power from the camera menu is really great... Especially when one of the flashes is higher than my arms can reach.
since the sensor is only on one side
Try a Metz Mecablitz. Integrates perfectly with CLS by Nikon AND has sensors on both sides.

Most people, though, will say that radio triggers are more reliable than IR transmission such as CLS... I have no experience of that.

Hmm... Here's something I didn't think of. As it stand right now with Nikon's CLS, I can control the output of each flash from the camera. with the triggers, I can only control it on the flash itself. Which would mean lots of running around with multiple flashes. are there triggers that can control flash output, or has such a thing yet to be developed?

I know the Pixel Kings can manually control the flash power and the zoom with the Canon system. I would guess they should have the same functionality in the Nikon system.

I use a set of these as well and they have never failed to fire, and they have loooooong range too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back