Wish me luck....

luvmyfamily said:
Wasn't really trying to achieve DOF for studio work, would have had I been outdoors.

Depth of field is always there.

Maybe along with the DOF calculator you should do an exercise to help you "see" it. It may help you more then just looking at numbers.

DOF exercise would be something like

Take a perfume bottle, can, or something and place it a specific distance from you - say 5ft. Take a picture of the bottle with various apertures - start wide open @ f/1.8 then use 2.8, 3.5, 4, 5.6, 8, 11.

Then put more distance between your subject and you - say 10ft and go through the same apertures again.

I think doing something similar to this will help you understand depth of field better...

Thanks, i actually did that with a pringles can yesterday. It will just take more practice.

I don't have the room indoors to stand so far away unfortunately. I am getting ready to post one photo, and you are right, not tack sharp ;) Had I been outdoors, I could stand farther away. DOF calculator will be my new best friend starting tomorrow. Thank you for your help :) Really sleepy, I will post some more tomorrow, but am posting one from today and you will see she is not tact sharp as she could have been. :meh:

If you shoot below F4 without a good reason.. then you need to reconsider what you are doing! Get some experience under your belt before you start trying to get fancy! Especially with two people in the shot. Also.. FLASH! Learn it, use it! Or do you really aspire to be a "Natural Light Joke".. Oops.. I meant "photographer"!

YES, I am a natural light portrait "photographer." LOL! :lol: I just posted one, and come on man...give a little credit for attempting indoor studio photography with an ADHD child. I just posted one, so rip away...but it's past my bedtime. I will post more from todays session when I get more edited. The one I just posted was at f/2.8.

But at night and inside there is not much natural light to shoot portraits :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back