Witch City Superior Courthouse - I

manaheim

Jedi Bunnywabbit
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had the VERY unique opportunity to be able to get my camera and equipment into the Salem, MA Superior Courthouse today. (I'm still trying to figure out if this is where the witch trials occurred... I'm not certain, but it's most certainly a dark and creepy place, regardless.) :)

I could only shoot the library today (working on getting in a bit deeper), but I could honestly have spent a MONTH in the library alone. I tried to be good and constrained my stay to an hour so as not to wear out my welcome. :)

I got several shots and intend to share them, but this was the first one that caught my eye.

C&C welcome, of course.

Salem%20Courthouse%20and%20Library%20-%20029.jpg

Well, I don't have any idea what I'm looking at.

Obviously, a wall and ceiling but I don't get the library part. And I can't figure out if it's a round room or distortion from a super-wide lens.

Maybe it will make more sense with the other shots.

hehe, I kinda didn't want to explain what it was because I figured it would take away from it somewhat...

And yeah, of all the shots, this one DOESN'T scream library. :)

Many of my followup ones will, though.

Plus it looks like it's got some humidity problems and that doesn't say library either to me.

Plus it looks like it's got some humidity problems and that doesn't say library either to me.

:lol: This is a veeeeeeeeeeery old and creepy building.

Hmmm, perhaps a stairway wall into the basement? Better yet a cell block?

Interesting, but I don't think it really conveys the creepiness that it probably should.

Can't wait to see the rest.

Better yet a cell block?

Remind me never to go to that library...

Interesting, but I don't think it really conveys the creepiness that it probably should.

Better yet a cell block?

:lol: the old mind is tired tonight - I saw he went to the courthouse and forgot when I posted that he said he shot the library.:blushing:

Better yet a cell block?

:lol: the old mind is tired tonight - I saw he went to the courthouse and forgot when I posted that he said he shot the library.:blushing:

Well, you know, back then, if you read the wrong book they would throw you in a cell :lmao:

^^^
The worst part is that it's true...

Keep in mind this is the SALEM MA courthouse law library... as in "Witch Trials" Salem MA.

So, yeah, odds are someone DID read the wrong book and was VERY likely tossed in a cell.

Ok, this is the roof and wall above a spiral staircase between first and second levels of the library.

Here's a B/W take on the shot...

Salem%20Courthouse%20and%20Library%20-%20029%20bw.jpg

Hope folks don't mind a little *bump*... just curious to hear more reactions.

Even though it's only been one day, I already feel as though I'm late to the party!

When I saw your original colour version, I thought, "Federico would really like this!" And so of course, do I!

The curve of line is great. Texture in the brick work is great. All the things I really go for.

I'm repeatedly clicking back and forth right now between the color and b/w versions. The b/w is decidedly darker. I've forgotten what editing program you use Chris. Is it CS4? Looks like you might have used that new b/w adjustment layer, darkening with the red slider.

I prefer the colour version, for its greater texture (I know, b/w is supposed to emphasize texture more). But I notice it more in the colour version. I also think the grain in the wood stands out more in your color version.

And as I said, the curving lines really appeal to me.

Most reactions

Back