Witch flash should I get?

I might do it. I very well may. Don't tempt me.

$1,600 for two lights and triggers that normally sell for $940 per light. They're what I want. I could sell my b800 and mods for the Tronix and maybe even the ABR800. I like the ring light, but the money from that could definitely help finance a 3rd 600RX, or at least several modifier.

er....tough decision.

Elinchrom Digital Style Combo 600RX Two Monolight EL 20728.2 -

My buddy at Calumet recommended the Travelite 750r lights. This looks like a nice deal for 3 lights:

Calumet Travelite 2250Ws 3-Head Radio Enabled Kit - CE1325 - CE1325

And any further upgrades can be Bowens lights/modifiers.

That and the 5 year warranty is always a plus.

Yeah, those look like high-powered monolights. If you want the Calumet radio triggering system though, you'll need to spend another $109 for each of the three lights. They weigh 7.5 pounds each, without modifiers...so three will weigh 22.5 pounds. GN of 350 at full power at ISO 100 means you will be using these dialed way down for most indoor work. In fact, these will be overly powerful for most portraiture of one- and two-person stuff indoors.

This is the problem with monolights; powerful monolights cost a lot of money, and you are always paying for the "maximum power" of a big light, when or if you want or need only a lower-powered light to use with a grid or beauty dish, so you end up spending more money than you would going with those awful cords and separate packs and 4 separate flash heads...which would give you even-higher output through 1 or 2 heads than almost any monolights...

Your posts are useless. I'm not going to buy the equipment you own. Stay out of my threads.

I've given you valuable feedback, and all you have done is act like the 20-something year old douche you are. Village Idiot, why don't you just simply leave this board? This place would be better off if you did. Or better yet, why don't you get really really drunk, then go for a drive,and see if you can outrun the police. Remember where your roommate hid your keys last night?

Enjoy your 25 pound monolight kit, or your 32-pound kit. Snort! I can't wait to hear the whining about a 10 pound monolight + modifier setup toppling over in the wind and crashing down. Those cheap stands you have will be really inadequate, but then, you don't know much about studio flash...but you'll learn someday. Maybe. But with your snottty attitude, you'll be an old man before you've learned much.

Strobist-away, little man! I am not suggesting that you buy equipment that "I own"--I am trying to tell you that three 750 w-s monos is a WASTE OF MONEY you douchebag. GET a clue. Or better yet, get some actual experience, and then buy some studio flashes. I've owned five systems over 30 years or so....how about you??? You don't seem to understand what I've suggested throughout this entire thread. But then, newbies like you seldom really understand equipment very well, and I can tell by having read your early,and recent, posts on Guide Numbers and how they are "set at 100 feet" (ROFLMFAO at your ignorance on that gem you wrote!) that you have absolutely ZERO idea of what the GN is, or how it works.

Even though you've been a total douche to me for a month or so, I've tried to give you some suggestions on five different systems, well-proven ones. Here's the last piece of advice: get 2 x750 and one that is HALF the power of the other two. Maybe someday you'll understand why. OR BUY FOUR 350 w-s units. Or five. Now, go get drunk and see if you can find your keys.:lol:

Last edited:
oh man...i kinda thought VI was kidding, D.
hmmmmm

Yeah, those look like high-powered monolights. If you want the Calumet radio triggering system though, you'll need to spend another $109 for each of the three lights. They weigh 7.5 pounds each, without modifiers...so three will weigh 22.5 pounds. GN of 350 at full power at ISO 100 means you will be using these dialed way down for most indoor work. In fact, these will be overly powerful for most portraiture of one- and two-person stuff indoors.

This is the problem with monolights; powerful monolights cost a lot of money, and you are always paying for the "maximum power" of a big light, when or if you want or need only a lower-powered light to use with a grid or beauty dish, so you end up spending more money than you would going with those awful cords and separate packs and 4 separate flash heads...which would give you even-higher output through 1 or 2 heads than almost any monolights...

Your posts are useless. I'm not going to buy the equipment you own. Stay out of my threads.

I've given you valuable feedback, and all you have done is act like the 20-something year old douche you are. Village Idiot, why don't you just simply leave this board? This place would be better off if you did. Or better yet, why don't you get really really drunk, then go for a drive,and see if you can outrun the police. Remember where your roommate hid your keys last night?

Enjoy your 25 pound monolight kit, or your 32-pound kit. Snort! I can't wait to hear the whining about a 10 pound monolight + modifier setup toppling over in the wind and crashing down. Those cheap stands you have will be really inadequate, but then, you don't know much about studio flash...but you'll learn someday. Maybe. But with your snottty attitude, you'll be an old man before you've learned much.

Strobist-away, little man! I am not suggesting that you buy equipment that "I own"--I am trying to tell you that three 750 w-s monos is a WASTE OF MONEY you douchebag. GET a clue. Or better yet, get some actual experience, and then buy some studio flashes. I've owned five systems over 30 years or so....how about you??? You don't seem to understand what I've suggested throughout this entire thread. But then, newbies like you seldom really understand equipment very well, and I can tell by having read your early,and recent, posts on Guide Numbers and how they are "set at 100 feet" (ROFLMFAO at your ignorance on that gem you wrote!) that you have absolutely ZERO idea of what the GN is, or how it works.

Even though you've been a total douche to me for a month or so, I've tried to give you some suggestions on five different systems, well-proven ones. Here's the last piece of advice: get 2 x750 and one that is HALF the power of the other two. Maybe someday you'll understand why. OR BUY FOUR 350 w-s units. Or five. Now, go get drunk and see if you can find your keys.:lol:

Actually, every post you've put up in the past several threads were telling me to get a Speedotron pack and head system. I specifically stated that I do not want a pack an head system and that reach would be an issue with that, which would require me to have multiple packs, with even the 1200w/s packs costing me nearly $1,000 each. I've used a Speedotron system before. I used it along with a set of alien bees on the same photo. It was great because we only had one head connected to it and didn't require multiple lights to be spread out over a large distance.

I have also stated that weight is not an issue. If weight were an issue for a particular shoot, then I'd sacrifice and take speedlights. You're making weight an issue. In fact, you're making a lot of things issues. You don't think I've ever shot outside in the wind? I've done shoots in the wind and rain using strobes. You're nuts to think that I wouldn't properly secure a light before using it. And you're making an issue out of my stands. Do you even know what stands I own? Nice way to assume on that. I don't plan on owning 5 different systems. I plan on finding the right system for me and owning one system. Seems like a waste to constantly be switching from brand to brand...

Those are just several reasons why your posts are pointless. Let's see if you can hurl some more insults. Maybe we'll get lucky enough and some one will ban you.

Last edited:
alien bees...:drool:

Got a B800 for sale and possibly even a ABR800 I'm getting rid of.

No, but I think I may actually see about going with a used set of Profoto lights. A 1200 w/s pack with three heads and then a 600w/s to add on down the road sounds like a good investment right now. Until I change my mind again that is.

ill be able to see your strobes pop from here. :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back