Witch lens (for Nikon DX) would you get?

Nikkor 1.8/85G --- terrific lens on FX and DX, I use it on my D500 & D850 all the time. Absolutely superb!

Lens review: The Nikon AF-S 85/1.8 G

I have for a long time been planning to upgrade my camera body or change system, but recently I have decided too stick with what I have, and spend my money on improving my system.

What I have today is:
Nikon D5600
Sigma 8-16 f/4.5 - 5.6
Nikon AF-S 35mm f/1.8
Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.4
Nikon AF-S 70-300 f/4.5 - 5.6 VR
(and a handful of speedlights, a not very good tripod and so on)

I have already decided on witch tripod to get, but I'm very unsure when it comes to lenses. I have previously owned a lot of lenses, but I sold them as I was getting ready to change system.

My question is, what would you get if you were in my situation? I'm not interested in questions about my needs or my style or anything, I want to know what you would have done, and of course why.

Uh, this is in his summary:

“I was able to get nearly identical results from both camera setups,” Ortiz tells PetaPixel. “The message of the video is that there isn’t much difference between the photos coming from both types of cameras and other factors play a bigger role!”
end quote

So his summary is that it does not make a difference.

However, gear does make a difference. His crop lens was a $1,000 prime lens, not a $200 kit lens.
Compare an inexpensive $400 crop kit to a high end $6,000 FF kit and you likely have a visible difference. But is that a fair/valid comparison?

Lens choice is based what you shoot. You have NOT told us this. What is it that you want to shoot that your current equipment cannot do?

Uh, this is in his summary:

“I was able to get nearly identical results from both camera setups,” Ortiz tells PetaPixel. “The message of the video is that there isn’t much difference between the photos coming from both types of cameras and other factors play a bigger role!”
end quote

So his summary is that it does not make a difference.

However, gear does make a difference. His crop lens was a $1,000 prime lens, not a $200 kit lens.
Compare an inexpensive $400 crop kit to a high end $6,000 FF kit and you likely have a visible difference. But is that a fair/valid comparison?
I'm not really saying there's no difference between crop and fullframe, but these threads can irk a little when someone who obviously has a new crop camera, due the d5600 being a recent model, gets advised to buy a fullframe camera when they inquired about lenses

All we need now is for someone to jump in and tell him to sell all his gear and go mirrorless.

My question is, what would you get if you were in my situation? I'm not interested in questions about my needs or my style or anything, I want to know what you would have done, and of course why.
I would have traded/sold my D5600 body for a D7100. Because I wanted a more capable body with all the attributes over and above the D5xxx line. One main reason is so I could use older screw-drive lenses.

I would not have purchased a Sigma (anything).

I would not have purchased a 35mm 1.8 because I simply don't need it.

I would have selected the AF-S 50mm f/1.8 over the 1.4 because of slightly better optics, and less money.

I purchased the 70-300mm 4.5-5.6 G VR zoom for its fast focusing and to have a carry-around long zoom.

Also I have purchased a new 58, a new 100, and used 85, 105, 135, 180, 200, and a 24-85 short zoom.

Not to mention my tripods, speedlights, studio strobe, light stands, modifiers, backdrop, storage and carry containers, etc.

I'm considering FF, but I'm not sure I will stick to Nikon.
If you're not sure you want to stay with Nikon, then I'd hold off on buying ANY new lens right now. As it is, you have a LOT invested in Nikon gear. You'll lose a lot of money if you try to sell off everything you have in order to switch to a different brand/system.

A used 85 f/1.8 is, however, a lens I have been close to buying at several occasions.
I have the 85mm f/1.8G and it's a fantastic lens, even on a DX camera. At a 127mm FX equivalent and 1.8 max aperture, it's an awesome portrait and indoor sports lens. A few years ago, I was the 2nd shooter for a large indoor wedding (200 guests) and that 85 got me some great shots in a VERY dimly lit ballroom. The bride and groom were very pleased with the pictures I took. You can't go wrong with that lens.

Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 (for your people shots that give them a sense of place - and landscape - this also fits between focal lengths you already have).

Nikon 85mm f/1.8 - or f/1.4 if you want to go crazy (your portrait lens).

Nikon or other Macro (I use the 60mm G f/2.8 and it works fine for me on DX - usually manual focus - with your new tripod pick up a gear-head, focus rail and some stacking software).

If you are at or near 300mm all the time on your zoom like I am then add the telephoto you need, the Nikon 200-500mm f/5.6 or the Nikon 300mm f/4 PF are my preferences (the 200-500 for birds and the 300 for landscape).

Off on a tangent.
Lyrics from the movie the Wizard of Oz.

Ding dong, the witch is dead
Which old witch?
The wicked witch!
Ding dong, the wicked witch is dead.

Heigh-ho, the derry-o
Sing it high, sing it low
Ding dong, the wicked witch is dead.

Good thread.....goooooood thread.

Most reactions

Back