What's new

With a bit of fear...

Alan92RTTT

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Apr 5, 2010
Messages
318
Reaction score
40
Location
Madison Heights, Mi
I'm a new user here and with a bit of fear I post these here for your comments.

Mackinac Island main street at night.


Mackinac Island port view
 
I undersand your apprehension to start posting for feedback. Kudos for doing it! Welcome to the forum. You will learn a lot here.

They both appear to be exposed well and are sharp. I am on my work PC with a bad monitor, but from what I can tell, that part looks good.

The first image appeals to me because fo the light. I like night shots with lights, and shadows and light casting into dark places. The content of the image seems to be missing a little something. I'm guessing the road is the main subject, which leads your eye to the lights at the end. Some different angles, or possible focusing close on a bike in the foreground with the night street beyond. Maybe a store front in the foreground, and the street beyong. Not sure what it is. This scene would require some experimenting and various different approaches to see what looks good.

I am interested to hear what others say. I have not done a whole lot of "street scenes" myself.

The second image is really colorful. I like the blue and contrasty feel. The objects in the foreground do take away from the image though. Seeking a different spot to shoot from, or zooming past those objects is something to consider. Although, in a way, the one on the right does help add the feel of being on the dock, I just think the structure of it is too complex and random.

Thanks for sharing and putting these out there.
 
The 1st has no subject other than the street itself. In the future I'll try picking and object for the focus and see how that works out.

For the 2nd until you said it I actually never noticed the parts of the dock in the frame. Probably because I was there and it was just part of the surrounding. I'll try to watch for that.
 
do you mind if I attempt an edit of your 2nd photo? your info doesn't say whether you allow or don't allow others to edit :)
 
I like the second one best, it looks like you chose a perfect time to shoot it.. however, i'd suggest maybe cropping out the dock part, and maybe some of the right side of the image to put the subject area more into the "rule of thirds" area.
It doesn't say whether you're okay or not with your images being edited, otherwise i'd give it a try myself for ya
 
In this case I am ok with the images being edited. (their should be an ask 1st option)
 
They are both long exposures you can click them and bring them up on flickr to see the settings.
 
The second yes is lacking a good subject but is otherwise a good shot.

#2 I really like except for the dock in the foreground.
 
OK a bit less fear I'll toss in another

DSC_1447.JPG


DSC_1304.JPG
 
Last edited:
Like the second one. The first one is good except for that bush and ground in the foreground.
 
The first one is good except for that bush and ground in the foreground.
Its not a bush. Its a rise in the ground that I could not work around without going onto private property. I wanted the bridge on the midline because I wanted to see if I could get color in the sky and in the water.
 
The first one is good except for that bush and ground in the foreground.
Its not a bush. Its a rise in the ground that I could not work around without going onto private property. I wanted the bridge on the midline because I wanted to see if I could get color in the sky and in the water.

I see, If it's unavoidable it's unavoidable right? Still a nice shot man. I really like the colors on those.
 
Nice, I like the zoomed in/cropped version. :thumbup:
 
I like the first one (in the first post) but I feel like you need to rotate it so it doesn't look like the buildings are leaning.

My favorite is the first one in the 2nd post. With the suspension bridge.

I think it's good practice to try and get 1/3 foreground - horizon - 2/3 sky... or 2/3 and 1/3 respectively. Sometimes you need to center the horizon and I think it works for the bridge especially because of the vertical supports that 'divide the image' into thirds.

Good stuff, don't be afraid to post more
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom