With all the New Stuff out. What are You Excited About!

I am excited that the new high megapixel DSLRs don't appear to have significantly better image quality than the ones that came before no matter what the advertising hype says (see the comparisons of the Canon 40D and 50D at dpreview). That means I can buy the old cameras for even cheaper, and not suffer from gear envy! I can't wait to see what the 5D mkII does to the price of the 5D.

I share your joy, since I still use a 6mp dSLR and save my money for frivolous things like lenses and making prints. Lots of newer cameras have tempted me with various features and improvements, but the number of pixels has always been fairly low on the list. Unfortunately it doesn't look like the megapixel race is ending any time soon, and at the current rate we'll soon be seeing 30-megapixel compacts which produce images that look good up to 25 ISO :roll:

Pentax. Just listing them because I am a fan of pentax (I collect old K-mounts and screwmounts). They are bit slow coming into the digital SLR age. I hope they can finally step up the pace. oh PLEEEZE.. build the 645 digital!!! I can be hopeful can't I?

It sounds like Nikon are going to get there first (digital medium format)... hopefully that will persuade Pentax to reconsider a 645D. As for small-format they're now well into the digital age, and personally I'm more than happy with them... the K20d is fantastic even if it is a whole six months old ;). The brand new KM is one of the smallest and cheapest of 'entry-level' dSLRs while IMO not compromising on build quality. I now have some great new lenses to play with, and finally they've brought back fast telephotos for me to look at and know I can't afford. Like Nikon they'll also be replacing the 50mm that we didn't know needed replacing. So, I'm excited to be a Pentax user :wink:

I'm also very excited about that Nikon "MX" system, which is news to me. But oddly enough the Leica S2 system holds no interest for me at all... although I also heard that the technology will 'trickle down', presumably to the 35mm-format, which will make a lot of Leica users happy. Nikon in general are really impressing me at the moment; in particular the D700 is incredible and sells for a ridiculously low price for what it is.

In the world of compacts I'm mostly interested in Panasonic. Not only is the LX3 a great camera, but in general their cameras are consistently well-designed and are unusual in not feeling like they're going to break on contact with a strong breeze. Panasonic have also caught my attention with the G1... I personally don't need a smaller SLR system that isn't really an SLR - although I can certainly see the appeal - but what interests me is simply the Electronic Viewfinder. Why? Because unlike almost all EVFs, it isn't crap... in fact it's far from crap. If that technology keeps improving then I can definitely see EVFs replacing optical finders in more 'serious' cameras (which is not the same as saying I want it to happen).

As a film user I'm keen to try Kodak's new Ektar, and will put aside the fact that I don't like Kodak much. Also I'm reassured that someone is still actually making film cameras - Fuji/Voigtländer's new folding rangefinder. Finally, I'm excited because some Ilford SFX 200 came in the post today.

Think that covers everything :D

The Bibble 5 Pro RAW converter gets me excited.

The Bibble 5 Pro RAW converter gets me excited.

I didn't know Bibble had a new version, but my excitement at this news almost overcomes my irritation at having just recently bought the previous version ;)

I didn't know Bibble had a new version, but my excitement at this news almost overcomes my irritation at having just recently bought the previous version ;)

if you got 4.10, then you might get a free upgrade to 5, not sure though .

5 is not fully out yet as far as i know, but it has been introduced at photokina. :D it appears quite a step forward!

I'm enjoying cheap used gear popping up on craigslist. It's actually difficult to hold myself back sometimes.
Totally! I recently picked up a 24-70 2.8 & shot with it for two weeks, then sold it for the same price.

Trouble is I fell in love with it & had to have a new one!

I've seen 5D's (I call em splashy, in my best Bush impression) with super light use for $1,600! Most are closer to $1,800 or 2K - so it is tempting to 'demo' a unit like that, being extra super careful not to get ripped. If I can get one with a receipt and all the original packing...

So far I do my CL camera dealings in the 7-11 parking lot! Camera surveillance, freeway close,..:thumbup:

There are already 50D bodies out there, purchased within weeks, 'too much camera' etc.. Just wear protection! -Shea

Most reactions

New Topics

Back