Wolf or Coyote? Any experts?

annamaria

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was at Cades Cove in TN a few months ago and had just received my Nikon D5100 and had not had a chance to read the manual. I had no idea what I was doing. I had the Nikon set on program mode, and 55-300 lens. Anyhow as me and my friend were leaving it was getting pretty dark when I saw this coyote, it was about 8 feet from me, needless to say I was beyond excited!!!! I shot away as fast as I could before he took off. I have posted these photos to see if anyone knows if this is a wolf or coyote. I did some very minor post processing. I am still very much in beginners learning mode. Hope to hear some of your answers.

$Wolf or Coyote 2.jpg$Coyote or Wolf Copy.jpg

I'd say coyote, based mostly on the pointiness of the snout and the size of the ears in proportion to the rest of the head.

On another note: I *almost* made it to Cades Cove today, but had to make a trip to Chattanooga instead and didn't get back in time. Love the Cove, hate the tourist traffic. I just live about an hour away. Did you see the Short-eared owls or Northern Harriers on Hyatt Lane?

I don't think a wolf's tail is quite that bushy, either.

100% coyote, those things keep eating my chickens and ducks.

Well the ears and the snout are the best way to tell the difference. Wolves are generally bigger and more muscular than a coyote, usually about a foot or two longer and almost twice the weight on average.

I'd say coyote, based mostly on the pointiness of the snout and the size of the ears in proportion to the rest of the head. On another note: I *almost* made it to Cades Cove today, but had to make a trip to Chattanooga instead and didn't get back in time. Love the Cove, hate the tourist traffic. I just live about an hour away. Did you see the Short-eared owls or Northern Harriers on Hyatt Lane?

Ah thank you for the clarification, now I know. Wow you are so lucky to live so close to Cades Cove. I agree about the tourists they slow you down. Did not see owls or the Harriers, maybe I will get lucky next time, though I did gets lots of close up deer photos. Will post them another time when I get the chance.

Well the ears and the snout are the best way to tell the difference. Wolves are generally bigger and more muscular than a coyote, usually about a foot or two longer and almost twice the weight on average.

I had a feeling it was a coyote, but wanted to make sure. It was exciting though. Btw what setting do you use for wildlife at night?

Most reactions

Back