Wolf Reserve (Part 1)

Antarctican

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
On Sunday, Airic, Chiller and I went up to the Haliburton Forest to visit the wolf reserve there. Apparently it's the only wolf reserve in Canada. It's 15 acres of fenced forest area with a glassed in observation post. The pack of wolves roams through the area, and is fed once a week.

Chiller, awesome dude that he is, let me try out his new 170-500 lens!!!!!!! That was one of the highpoints of the day. (How I'm ever going to be satisfied with my 17-200 is the matter of much debate. But I digress). It was tough to handhold steady that big lens, so some of the shots taken with it were a little soft.

Here's a selection of some of the MANY shots I took:

1. The Alpha male
img2099psrspy9.jpg

img2649psrsyw2.jpg

img2107psrs2ss9.jpg

img2135psrsam7.jpg

img2114psrsrv0.jpg

6. (I think this fella was admiring the Red Hood on my jacket....)
img2792psrsyz2.jpg

Thanks for looking! I'll post more as I get time to go through all the shots.

LOVELY animals :) :)

Hm, did you use a tripod? or did you not go all the way up to 500 ... on a crop sensor i guess that is.

Wow I love everyone of these. Good work hand holding that beast. Wolves are by far my favorite animals.

I started out using a tripod, but the observation area wasn't set up very well for using one, so I stopped using it very early. All of the shots with Chiller's lens were handheld, although I could see I was 'wobbling' and tried to rest it against the glass whenever possible. It's much heavier than my 17-200 lens! But man can you ever get a better closeup with it! I was just thrilled to little bits that he let me use it. What a guy, eh? (Although after I refused to give it back and he had to wrestle it out of my hands, I think he reconsidered whether he'd ever let me use it again.)

I started out using a tripod, but the observation area wasn't set up very well for using one, so I stopped using it very early. All of the shots with Chiller's lens were handheld, although I could see I was 'wobbling' and tried to rest it against the glass whenever possible.

oh, that was from behind glass?

(Although after I refused to give it back and he had to wrestle it out of my hands, I think he reconsidered whether he'd ever let me use it again.)

next time, just run! and make sure you are faster ;)

Sounds like you had a good time. The three of you should come out to Alberta :D

great shots, 3 & 6 are winners

not sure why but I have the Due South theme tune running through my mind

your lucky to have such a reserve nearby (ish).... these are gorgeous wolves... 5&6 are my favs, good job :thumbup:

Just fly west to Germany (over the Pacific)...then it's on your way :p

These are all so very lovely I can't choose a favorite! I had no idea these were from behind glass, nicely done!

Very well captured Anty. Tough to pic a fave here.
Does this mean your makin a trip down to pick up that lens this weekend. You really handled that tinted window really well.
Unfortunatly I did not get any shots. Seems somebody had my lens. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Very lovely animals. I like the pictures :) My girlfriend used to have a white 100% pure Wolf as a pet, She found it wandering around when it was a baby and kept it until last year when her mom made her sell it cuz of financial problems, and not being able to afford paying for its shots, food, etc. Was really nice and friendly.

Most reactions

Back