Wonder what would it be like if tether Aony a7II with vintage lenses mounted.

Vicky12

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First time touching a DSLR..

Purchase a Sonly a7II and a few vintage MF lenses. I have a notebook, ThinkPad T540p. And would like to try tethering photography.

Googling a bit, I don't find much info on tethering modern DSLR with vintage lenses mounted.

Anybody has the experiences and like to share, please?

Thanks.

Just like gsgary wrote, I see no reason why a certain lens would affect whether or not you can tether. The only scenario I can think of is using a software that can control the camera from the computer, and normally has an aperture adjustment option or lets you pick a point for autofocus—that would not work, as the lens isn’t controlled electronically. Otherwise, you’d still get the same functionality as you would with native lenses, so that shouldn’t be a problem whatsoever.

"The only scenario I can think of is using a software that can control the camera from the computer, and normally has an aperture adjustment option or lets you pick a point for autofocus—that would not work, as the lens isn’t controlled electronically"

Thanks.
Aperture and focusing distance changings and the effects produced by these changings of a vintage prime lens, say a Nikkor 55/1.2 or 135/2.8, are exactly what I and my friends want to see on a notebook monitor, as a live view, tethered with the camera.

Aperture and focusing distance changings and the effects produced by these changings of a vintage prime lens, say a Nikkor 55/1.2 or 135/2.8, are exactly what I and my friends want to see on a notebook monitor, as a live view, tethered with the camera.
These old lenses have no electronics. The camera doesn’t know what aperture or focus distance is used, so it isn’t written in the files’ EXIF data and it can’t be shown anywhere. However, if you change the aperture or focus distance manually on the lens, you should see the effects on the computer, just like it’s shown in Live View mode in the camera.

"However, if you change the aperture or focus distance manually on the lens, you should see the effects on the computer, just like it’s shown in Live View mode in the camera."

Sounds promising. The purpose for having a live view on a monitor is to let friends see the features of prime lenses when when shoot bokeh style. Maybe the aperture change and the focusing point etc. can be narrated while making the changes.

Thanks.

"However, if you change the aperture or focus distance manually on the lens, you should see the effects on the computer, just like it’s shown in Live View mode in the camera."

Sounds promising. The purpose for having a live view on a monitor is to let friends see the features of prime lenses when when shoot bokeh style. Maybe the aperture change and the focusing point etc. can be narrated while making the changes.

Thanks.

you know, to quote, you can just highlight the text you want to copy and a small dialogue that says "+ quote | reply" appears below it. If you click "reply" it automatically adds that to your reply window so you dont have to copy and paste. The person you quoted is also then notified you quoted them, as well as it appears formatted better as a quote inline.

Thanks.
“That is a noble cause.” Good luck teaching!

The person you quoted is also then notified you quoted them, as well as it appears formatted better as a quote inline.
Fortunately, this site also notifies on any reply to a thread I participated in, not just when I’m quoted. That’s both a blessing and a curse, but to me it’s been pretty useful, as I only seldom go through threads without notifications.

you know, to quote, you can just highlight the text you want to copy and a small dialogue that says "+ quote | reply" appears below it. If you click "reply" it automatically adds that to your reply window so you dont have to copy and paste. The person you quoted is also then notified you quoted them, as well as it appears formatted better as a quote inline.

Thank you very much for teaching me this. I have not learnt this. And you are the first one caring about teaching me this practical operation.

Really appreciate.

Fortunately, this site also notifies on any reply to a thread I participated in, not just when I’m quoted. That’s both a blessing and ea curse, but to me it’s been pretty useful, as I only seldom go through threads without notifications.

Sorry if I caused you any inconvenience.

And I really want to say a big and loud THANK YOU for sharing you knowledge and tech with me!

If you have a smartphone or tablet you can just use the Sony Play Memories app.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back