Wondering what lenses to get next for my D7100

SashaT

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently upgraded from a D3000 to a D7100. I was curious as to any suggestions as I want to get a couple of new lenses. Currently I have the 18-55 VR, 55-200 and an AF 60mm f2.8 D macro. I mostly use my camera while out fly fishing taking nature/ fish pics. I do also photograph people from time to time. For a budget I am thinking that I want to stay around 800-1200ish for both.

Thanks.

I also currently shoot on a D7100, and I say this a lot, but, my go to "trilogy" of lenses are Tokina 11-16 Pro II for ultra wide, Nikon 16-85 for wide to short telephoto, and the 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR II (FX), with no gaps in coverage. All can be had for 700 or less, and even less than that, if you're willing to buy it used. So taking into account your budget, buy 2, they're small :)

A lens that I have personally be looking at for awhile now is the 80-200mm 2.8D. For its highly regarded optics and beefy build I thought it would be perfect as a "climbing/hiking/traveling/portrait zoom, just something I can get real down and dirty with.

But if I were you, I would go for a wide angle like the Sigma 10-20 or the Tokina 11-16, 12-24

Thanks guys for the info, I will look into those lenses. The more I think about it, I think I should go for a wide and a zoom. I think I may up the budget (getting a bonus at work in Sept). What about these: Nikkor 10-24 and 28-300?

I would suggest that you keep what you have and exploit them to the fullest extent possible. Each of them have their own limitations and nuances (every lens does). Thereafter, work out what you are missing, both in terms of focal length and speed of lens, and investigate how best to fill that particular gap in your lens lineup of lenses, notwithstanding your budget. Rather buy one best-of-breed lens that should last you a lifetime than two mediocre lenses that you may wish to replace in a few months, when they no longer fulfill your expanding desires.

Personally, I would stay away from the 28-300. It does have its pro's and con's, and as long as you understand these fully, you will be in a better position to make an informed decision. For example, insofar as reach goes, you are currently covered from 18-200 with your existing lenses and the 28-300 is ALSO a slow lens, so all you would be doing is adding the 200-300 range. What you do get is the convenience of a single lens, but aside from the extra 100mm at the top end (200-300mm), nothing else on the positive side.

If you ever have any intention of photographing in low light, or high-speed action, you should look at FASTER lenses, which are expensive. If you need extra reach beyond 300mm, costs also rise exponentially. Maybe a selection of prime lenses will best suit your needs. Only you can define your current and expected future needs. As such, I suggest that you list your typical TYPE of photography and limitations, and how you expect these to change going forward, and based on that, further questions and/or suggestions could be offered by the community.

What may be a good purchasing decision for me, based on my equipment, my needs and my expectations, may be a poor decision for you, based on your current equipment, needs and expectations.

Thanks guys for the info, I will look into those lenses. The more I think about it, I think I should go for a wide and a zoom. I think I may up the budget (getting a bonus at work in Sept). What about these: Nikkor 10-24 and 28-300?

I think that really depends on how much you value convenient zoom versus quality in your images. Personally I prefer the 70-300 vr + 16-85 combination. If you have extra cash, consider getting a flash unit. If you are really looking to spend more, take a look at the 17-50 sigma and the 70-200 nikon combination :)

Here is the thing; I would like to have a wide capability when I am out and about. For example yes I would love to have the sharpness of a prime; getting a 35mm 1.8 was going to happen in addition to the any lenses I was talking about in this thread. As I have read good things about it as far as being a great addition for general purposes. I also want the ability to shoot wide angle shots of the landscape and be able to zoom in on things such as fish. I also want a lens with the capability to take very clear shots of birds at a distance both in flight and in trees etc. Hope this clears up what I am asking. On a side note I did damage my 18-55 VR when I slipped one day in the winter and took a "swim" in the river. Yes it sucked with air temps in the 20s but I didn't take too much water in my waders. The unfortunate thing is I dunked the D3000 and 18-55 lens. Long story short after a week in a bag of rice the 3000 came back to life (this happened in the winter of 2011) the 18-55 never quite got all the way dry.

I know this will sound crazy and goes against the grain, but if I were you I would buy another kit lens for $80 from KEH and just use it as a beater lens or pick up a 28-80 "plastic fantastic" lens for 50 or 60 bucks on ebay so if you have another mishap it's no big deal. I'm very outdoorsy and I fish so I know what a beating camera gear can take in the elements.

As you know I shoot birds (I have a D300 and a Tokina 300 F2.8, to answer your question in my other thread) Taking "very clear shots of birds at a distance in flight and trees" is a pretty specialized field. Another option to the Nikon 70-300 mentioned is the Tamron 70-300 VC which is 450 new with $100 rebate so net is $350 with a 6 year warranty.. I had this lens for awhile and it is very good for what it is.. But like I mentioned Bird photography isn't really a casual thing...

I know this will sound crazy and goes against the grain, but if I were you I would buy another kit lens for $80 from KEH and just use it as a beater lens or pick up a 28-80 "plastic fantastic" lens for 50 or 60 bucks on ebay so if you have another mishap it's no big deal. I'm very outdoorsy and I fish so I know what a beating camera gear can take in the elements.

As you know I shoot birds (I have a D300 and a Tokina 300 F2.8, to answer your question in my other thread) Taking "very clear shots of birds at a distance in flight and trees" is a pretty specialized field. Another option to the Nikon 70-300 mentioned is the Tamron 70-300 VC which is 450 new with $100 rebate so net is $350 with a 6 year warranty.. I had this lens for awhile and it is very good for what it is.. But like I mentioned Bird photography isn't really a casual thing...

Thank you for the information, replacing the 18-55 was something I was intending to do as it worked really well for me and for my fishing adventures in the back country. Besides it is pretty inexpensive and I didn't cry too much when I killed it. I can imagine that bird shots are really specialized; every shot I have ever attempted usually with the 55-200 came out like crap. I was on my way out of a canyon one day and saw a golden eagle on the ground. I thought yes, I will finally get a good shot. He was just sitting there for what seemed like forever. That was until I swung the camera his direction. He took off, I tried to get some shots but as you might guess they came out really bad. I asked the question as it is an area of photography that I would love to learn as it interests me.

I keep a Nikon 28-70mm 2.8 mounted to my D7100. It's a slightly older lens but it's a professional solid work horse and runs cheaper than the newer Nikon 24-70mm 2.8.

Most reactions

Back