This is a wood pecker in my backyard.

nikon d90
200mm F/L
f/9
1/100s
manual
matrix

kids2010007.jpg

It is either a female Downy or Harry who look very similar. In this case size matters ;) as the Harry is much larger.

The pic is not sharp; is it a heavy crop?

It is a Harry woodpecker, And the crop is tight. he comes to the feeder often, But this is the only time I have been able to get a picture of him while he is not actually hanging on the feeder. So it looks a little more natural, but I wish I got a better quality in the photo. :(

Crop is too tight. It would help to see the entire image to make an assessment of the overall quality. From this sample image it's hard to tell if the softness comes from the lens or camera shake.

Did you use remote shutter release?

At 200mm it's likely to get some shake just by pressing the shutter release a certain way.

It seems the spots on the feathers are blown out/overexposed..

I hate these little bastards....every morning I get a nice wake up call from them during the summer. You'd think they would know the difference between the PLASTIC siding of a house and a tree...of which there are many in the backyard. Then again, maybe he does it to annoy "those things in [his] territory". Who knows.

Either way, I agree, it's overexposed and soft. But an attractive bird none the less.

Check the exif, your shutter speed was too slow 1/100 @200mm on a crop sensor, you must have read my posts about this i have wrote that many:grumpy:

Most reactions

Back