Woodrow P. Ecker

That is interesting, i always assumed those were just juveniles ?

I actually like both shots. Never been able to get them either close, nor in good light. Out of all the birds, I think these tease me the most.

superb feather detail and colors

Very nice! Beautiful bird!

I love the colors. That is a cool looking bird.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the comments. They are really pretty birds and are all over the place here. They are not nearly as skittish as most wild birds, and though they will try and keep a tree between us I can usually get relatively close to them.

Not being arguementative, but my field guide (of the Carolinas) states the female is marked just like the male, except with a grey crown.

HERE

No argument from me ;)

I think that's what Sharon meant though. The females are marked similar to the males however the red is only on the back of their necks. From what I looked up they do appear to have a gray crown, however the red starts right behind it and runs down the back of their necks.

That is interesting, i always assumed those were just juveniles ?
Nope, they are adults. I don't know why they are called Red-Bellied Woodpeckers when their bellies are white, but the Red HEADED Woodpecker looks completely different.

I actually like both shots. Never been able to get them either close, nor in good light. Out of all the birds, I think these tease me the most.
Thanks, Jacaranda. I feel your pain, for me it's Kingfishers ;) We have these guys all over the place around here. Them and their smaller cousins the Downy Woodpeckers, as well as a few of the larger cousins the Pileated Woodpecker. These guys are fun to shoot though, they try and keep a tree between them and a human but then they forget and go all the way around it ;)

Most reactions

Back