woooo hoooo !!!!!!!!

Congrats Naptime. I look forward to seeing both of your work with the new gear.

I'm gonna give you a little advice here Nappy ole boy.
Once you buy a used camera body that obsolete, you're gonna wish you saved bro.
You're all into this shyt. Just like Rose and look what happened with her. Upgrading less than a month later.
Told her that was gonna happen.

Now I'm telling you.
Get the best you can. Even if you and the brat with the eye have to share it.

sharing is not an option.

she spends half her time with her mom. then one of us would be without. can't do it. lol.

there will be no other option for another camera buy until fall. i have a trip to Lima, Peru to pay for between now and july.

so.. i understand what ya'all are saying...

so, assuming we have a budget to stick two. and we need to fit two bodies in that budget...

the rebel t1i is entry level, 2009 and 15 mp. certainly in budget.

the rebel t2i is entry level 2010, and 18 mp. and possibly in budget.

the 30d is midrange, but is 2006 , and 8mp. and in budget.

would it be better to get a newer entry level, versus an older midrange?

a 40d is way out of budget. a 50d is untouchable. and it goes without saying, that pro level is out of range.

and a t3i is out of budget.

I'd stick with the newer entry level.
And don't buy into the crap that pixels don't matter.
Pixels do matter. They are the very thing that render the image.
The more you have the larger the print capacity , should you want to print.

The more pixels you have , the better if you crop images and we all do that.
I wouldn't take an older 8MP camera over a newer 18MP camera for various reasons.
Especially from 2006.
Yes you will hear that pixels don't matter. It's a lie.
If it were true no one would want a full frame camera with fatter pixels. Because Pixels don't matter.
There would be no reason to interpolate an image file, because you want to make a larger print and you're short on pixels.
Because Pixels don't matter.
Larger pixels capture more light, thus more detail, hence the full frame camera/sensor.
But that doesn't mater, because pixels don't matter. So that means resolution doesn't matter either.
See where I'm going with this?

I honestly don't know the 30D features and performance well enough to give much of a view on it - save to say that I've hardly ever seen any one actually shooting with one. I'm not saying its not a good camera, but I've a feeling it might be lacking some advances which are now even present in the entry level bodies - but that is only a gut feeling not one based upon actual evidence.

From the bodies you list I'd say go for the t1i - entry level and certainly within budget for you so its not putting pressure on the purchase, plus any cash you can save can be put toward a lens fund (start up a little side bank account and drop a little into it every chance you get to help save for lenses). If you can afford good glass you'll notice a striking difference in what quality you can get from your cameras (digital and film) and the quality will be far far greater than if you're pushing higher and higher spec bodies (and there is also grounds that once the 15MP and greater sensors start appearing, that you need high end glass otherwise performance might degrade due to the density of the pixels on the sensor).

See, naptime's nipping this habit it the bud before she discoveries large format chrome at $3-8/exp

See, naptime's nipping this habit it the bud before she discoveries large format chrome at $3-8/exp
HAHA - I was shopping large format (4x5) cameras today (thinking of alternate uses of my refund) - but then I remembered that my scanner can't scan large format, so I would have to buy a new scanner too. I think I'll buy an enlarger before that.

My refund is going for a new TV (small one for the bedroom), film, and other small odds & ends like a decent wine decanter. If possible, I also want to get a tank large enough to do 2 120 rolls at the same time.

Are you passing out whatever it is you have???

This is just my opinion... I'd think you'd be better off sharing one GOOD digital camera than buying 2 not so hot digital cameras. Besides that-DON'T ABANDON YOUR FILM!!! It's so worth the education you get out of film!!!

Oh... and I have a 50D in need of a new home... with 2 chargers, battery grip, 3 batteries, couple of straps and any other odds and ends I find around here that just need to go. Might have an older zoom lens too...

You do realize, I hope, that when you get a big refund, you've effectively loaned the money to the gubermint, and are now getting it back, without any interest or other compensation. My attitude is that if you can manage it, end up owing a little, instead of waiting for the refund. Then you've got the use of the money (your pocket, not theirs), and you give them their due upon filing.

This is just my opinion... I'd think you'd be better off sharing one GOOD digital camera than buying 2 not so hot digital cameras. Besides that-DON'T ABANDON YOUR FILM!!! It's so worth the education you get out of film!!!

Oh... and I have a 50D in need of a new home... with 2 chargers, battery grip, 3 batteries, couple of straps and any other odds and ends I find around here that just need to go. Might have an older zoom lens too...

Precisely why you should buy my Pentax, instead of her 50D.
lol

You do realize, I hope, that when you get a big refund, you've effectively loaned the money to the gubermint, and are now getting it back, without any interest or other compensation. My attitude is that if you can manage it, end up owing a little, instead of waiting for the refund. Then you've got the use of the money (your pocket, not theirs), and you give them their due upon filing.
Now that I have to pay my taxes at the end of the year I've adopted a bit of this philosophy... I put away 1/3 of my gross. The rest is to cover my CODB, COG and paying myself. Seeing how I still have kids at home? I get one hell of a bonus WITH INTEREST every year at this time! It also helps force me to meet benchmark!!!

HAHA - I was shopping large format (4x5) cameras today (thinking of alternate uses of my refund) - but then I remembered that my scanner can't scan large format, so I would have to buy a new scanner too. I think I'll buy an enlarger before that.

My refund is going for a new TV (small one for the bedroom), film, and other small odds & ends like a decent wine decanter. If possible, I also want to get a tank large enough to do 2 120 rolls at the same time.

LOL. I was in the same position just the other day. I'm like SWEET! I could totally afford a Sinar F1, I'll get a decent but inexpensive 180mm lens. Figured I was set. Totally forgot about the scanner.

Got a pano head and a macro rail instead. Saved a few hundred!

Meh - Peeps gettin excited about the Fed giving you your own money back.

[/political_commentary]

i'm 40 years old. i've been working since i was 15. i understand perfectly well how my income taxes work.

i'm not going to go into the details of why i get a large refund. but i dont sit around waiting for a refund.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back