Working for another photography business?

dawssvt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I currently shoot weddings as a part time gig. There is a photography studio in town that mostly shoots portraits and does some weddings. I'm looking for a job just to be able to pay the bills right now.

I think working for this studio could be good experience for me, but also think it could be counter-productive because they will have copyright of the pictures I take. I just love the idea of getting to work with a camera with both my day job and doing weddings on my own. What do you guys think of this?

Unless you're just a button pusher (like Sears), it could be a good experience.

Thanks! I think I'm going to go talk to them tomorrow :wink:

A job is a job. They pay you, they get the pics.
Do your creative stuff on off time.
Or, you can do as I did when I was with the Chicago Tribune. I carried an extra camera, or two, and took shots for myself. Of course, I first made sure I completed the assignment for my employer.
With weddings, though, I would never try to undersell your employer after the fact. Murder would be justified if you did that.

If they are hiring do it. Not sure how it goes down in the retail world, but in commercial photography the experience is invaluable. Although it might not seem like it at the time.

Also speak to them abut using some of the shots for your book. I have had some employers say no problem and some said hell no. Just depends on the employer.

Love & Bass

Most reactions

New Topics

Back