Working vs. non working.....your feelings?

It needs to work in my view, otherwise it's just a paperweight.

Cool camera that you got, that should be fun getting it working and seeing what you get.

I have a number of vintage cameras in various states of usability! lol Depends on what it is... most are thrift store price range in value. I have a few box cameras, some are art deco style and primarily decor.. I have one that's the last of the box Brownies that has actual settings, that's one that I've used.

I have some that work, like my Agfa Clack that seems to have been named after the noise it makes when you release the shutter. I have some that work, sort of, at faster speeds, but have to sit and 'think' awhile about releasing the shutter at slower speeds. I've done some tinkering but not actual repairing. I have some that are actually good cameras with nice lenses anywhere up to 100 years old that are usable and capable of good photos.

Then there are some like the Fotron that are ridiculous and cool modern style at the same time and might work if I felt like trying to figure out how to get 35mm (828) film into the little black box that fits into the back (it came prefilled and sealed) and then get it to advance... Others that are funky bakelite midcentury 'atomic' style that may/may not work or get used but look fun on a shelf. I have cameras all over the house...

Now what was the question...??

I agree with whoever (edit - Ian, who's busy repairing other cameras) said sometimes it can help to come back to it later, then sometimes then I've seen right away what to do with whatever it is. edit - Or just do what Derrel said and don't worry about it...

You just can’t seem to find anyone who repairs cameras now, I used. To have a zenith that I took climbing and absailing it was forever getting bounced
At the time there was a local fix it man who liked working on cameras, did not charge much he put that old zenith back together more times than I can rember
Got to the stage he would ask what I was doing the W/e so he had an idea what would happen to the camera
Think he used to like the story of what I did and what happened to the camera.
Having a camera round your neck whilst absailing is def not a safe thing to do... found out the hard way
Camera shop.. just look at something like that and shake their head.
So good on you for being able to fix the camera

20593062-58FA-46A9-9066-A92EBD6AC15A.jpeg
WOW! All the work pays off as a 1928 QRS Kamra successfully shoots a full roll of film and does it with ease and simplicity! I’m getting some scans done tomorrow but anyway, just seeing a negative (actually a full string of them) really delights me! This is a quick iPhone shot/invert with some contrast tweaks. Eastman XX iso 250 Caffinol C 8 min. Here’s how to load it, I used a normal cassette and padded the big film chamber with a paper towel, so the film sits just right. Pull the leader across, curl the end into the other camber, put on the back. It has a counter, I ran the roll till it stopped, then opened the back in the darkroom and loaded into the tank. I’m shooting tri X next, should get more density.

Last edited:
So cool you got it working.

I wondered what film you were talking about so I searched and it came up on FPP, they're respooling film as usual... I'm going to try some!

Yes Double X is a very old emulsion I believe it dates to 1959. Interesting too the sprocket holes retain the early Cine shape of oval tops and bottoms, rather than the usual square shapes. The original roll of nitrate based film that came with the camera had this early hole shape also.

631CC6F5-1762-4CA8-8CF5-4CA91D9ADAD3.jpeg
Well I Guess the QRS Kamra really Can do the job!! Today, Tri X in Caffinol.

To me if it's rare it doesn't matter if it works or not.
Obviously if it's not rare I don't mind taking it apart and fiddling.
I have whole heap of cameras in various states of repair, many need parts to get them going. Which are easier to find if it's not rare.
Same goes for if it's worth a lot of money. I'd prefer to find someone else to fix it.

Hope you can get it going again. Good Luck.

Most reactions

Back