Working with Female models is tough

I'm learning that females are tough to work with, I get certain poses work well for their angles but overall when I sent them the photos to see if they like certain edits they are definitely not shy about telling me that they don't like certain photos.
You might not be aware of this, but females have much more experience looking at their reflection in a mirror than most guys realize. Since they were little girls they have been analyzing, critiquing, posing, and generally learning what looks good and what doesn't. This goes for poses, clothing, makeup, hair, and all the rest. Girls have much more experience at that than you do.

You need to get ahead of the curve, so to speak. If your model for that day is very busty, take that into consideration on the poses you select. If she is thin, try to select poses that flatter her shape. This is a learning experience for you, and trying it "hit or miss" is the slow way. Start studying photographic poses based on enhancing and flattering certain body shapes. If a model says she doesn't like that pose, ask her to be specific and tell you what exactly about that pose she doesn't like. If it's an eyebrow slightly out of place, then assure her you won't publish it in a national magazine without first applying some very skillful post-capture editing.

Lately I've been asking my female friends to practice with me on some photo shoot ideas, and some of them have shot with other photographers so they sure don't hold back on their experiences.

I'm learning that females are tough to work with, I get certain poses work well for their angles but overall when I sent them the photos to see if they like certain edits they are definitely not shy about telling me that they don't like certain photos.

It's tough too since I have my own creative vision, but also have a need to please them so they will want to shoot with me again.

Not trying to complain, I actually welcome the challenge, just so far after two or three shoots with females I've realized most have the same pattern when it comes to voicing their opinions on their photos.

What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

It gets easier. And if you do it right, the process moves itself forward - you get practice, your pictures get better, your models trust you more, they promote you to their friends, you get better models (because now you have choices), your pictures get better, your models trust you more, rinse and repeat.

Eventually you're getting paid and published every other time you pick up your camera. You just have to go through a lot of cycles of awkwardness before you get there.

Well, I would say that the difficulty level differs from women to women as it is nothing like working with female models is tough or so. Further, I would like to add is that it is different work with a model and a friend who is modelling for you.

I spend the first 30mins of a shoot just chilling out and goofing off and telling jokes. Once you are in the moment then you start shooting seriously.

An inexpensive light stand, some inexpensive spring clamps, and some wood or dowel rods can be used as a good assistant for holding a reflector. I used this exact set up when I was in college. Use the spring clamps to hold the wood / dowels to the stand and the reflector. Can set up the reflector many ways / angles. Of course they sell arms and clamps and such at the camera stores. But Home Depot / Lowes / Harbor Freight woodworking spring clamps work just fine. 2" or 3" ones. Of course an assistant would make things go much quicker. But you have to do with what you have. And even now I am alone most of the time. Occasionally me and my wife will work together. But normally we are on our own.

I spend the first 30mins of a shoot just chilling out and goofing off and telling jokes. Once you are in the moment then you start shooting seriously.

Often times this seems to be the norm: the first part of a shoot is usually nowhere near as good as the middle zone.

Most reactions

Back